S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if taking the cat off of my truck will improve performance or will it totally screw everything up with the o2 sensor.

2000 4.3
Flowmaster
Airaid intake

·
Registered
14 Posts
The O2 sensor is in front of the cat, but if your 'Check Engine' light comes on get a Chiltons manual and find out how many ohms your O2 is supposed to be reading and get a resistor from Radio Shack and wire that sucker in. But it'll void your warranty and anyone who does a visual inspection for the cat won't pass your truck for inspection stickers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hollow the cat

what if i hollowed out the cat would that be better

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Leave it alone, period. You wont gain anything, you'll lose some by gutting and tricking the 02 sensor reading. These newer motor and fuel injection setups are very good in keeping and optimum balance of air-fuel ratio. Screwing with any part of it reduces H.P., the cat is needed in this operation, unless you just want to make noise. These cats are straight through in design. Unless you know what your doing and reflash the OBD2 for the application, and find another way to reduce combustion temps, stay away, leave it alone> It aint broke so dont try to fix it<

·
Registered
14 Posts
GAS10 said:
i have four o2 sencersand one of them are after the cat. i have a 97. 4.3
Ugh, sorry, I have a 93... I didn't even think about how different that would be. Things are simplier on 1st gens :D

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
The first gen can be tricked and remove the cats. The second have a much more complex program that tunes the mixes. The first's didnt as much, didnt rely on all this info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
GAS10 said:
i thought about doing somthing with my cat so can you tell me what i can do that wont throw my comp off.
You could buy a high-flow cat, but I'm not sure what kind of increase you'd be looking at. But even with that, since yours is a 2000 you can't change the cat for 4 or 5 years unless the cat on your truck goes out.

·
Banned
6,652 Posts
DubTee1480 said:

You could buy a high-flow cat, but I'm not sure what kind of increase you'd be looking at. But even with that, since yours is a 2000 you can't change the cat for 4 or 5 years unless the cat on your truck goes out.
LEGALLY, that is....

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
ok accordin to everyone drillin out ur cat and addin a low restriction exhaust to ur truck will slow it down, well the night i done my cat and exhaust my truck will haul ass ass far as dynos go it went from 163 to 204 guess i lost some hp huh?? and no my ses light did not come on

·
Registered
40 Posts
i have a 97 . so you didnt lose any power at all . heard the same thing about if you drill out your truck will run bad . ill have to think about doing it than .

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
nope and got a crap load more stomp off the line and the highend is real good

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
yep, the biggest gain out of my truck was when i drilled the cat and done the exhaust, alot better gas mileage. Sup to u whether or not u wanna drill it but i have never had a car or truck with a cat on it but thats just me:scary:

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Gained 39 H.P. by gutting the cat. Really? The new cats are very freeflowing to begin with, less than 1/8 of what the stock muffler is. The final 02 sensor ( Forth) is so fake it didnt pick up on the fact you did this and back down the fuel mix? It would be a first. Go ahead then gut your cats.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
there is nothin high flow about it i dont know who told u that but its the stock on all gms

1 - 20 of 20 Posts