S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a substantial number of posts about the cat on 98 s10 and the flexpipe problem. I have a 99 and was wondering if that could be mine? I have noticed when I start it up cold that there is a significant metallic gratting/rumbling coming from the cat area. Also, it does it in the lower range as I rev up, but pretty much stops when it gets warmed up or when i rev high. I have already changed both o2 sensors, the front one was a bitch, but the ses light came on today, and I am sure that the o2 sensors are reading off again. My carrier bearing looks a little degraded, but has play only when I really move it around. Also I did not check the U joints, just twist the driveshaft right?. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
bigman1

·
Super Moderator
20,517 Posts
sounds like time for replacn new cat, there's a cat recall for 98-00 for up to 120k, take it in to dealership and they'll put new cat in for free...

·
child at heart
1,546 Posts
yeap ye ole flex pipe is ka pooie!

·
Registered
94 Posts
i took mine to the dealership and they didnt fix it, they are only fixing downpipes that cracked. i have a 98 and i put a catco on it and it runs better then it did before

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Turns out my cat was all busted inside. Took to one of the local muffler shops, and he put a new one on for 109.75. Sounds good to me. Well, just thought I would let you guys know.
Thanks again
bigman1 :tup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts