S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got out of my truck at work this morning, i looked under it and the top of the converter is red hot. Not really really red, but enough you can see it in the dark. This is under normal driving conditions, about 35-40 mph in 5th gear. Is this normal or should i be concerned about it?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the weird thing about it's brand new, about a month old. I got a new cat and muffler put on at the same time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have seen headers glow and it was because the valves were to tight.
Does the rest of your piping up to the manifold glow too?

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,024 Posts
if you just had it replaced and it's glowing i'd be taking that bitch back to where you got it done at...you should take a pic at night when you can see it glowing as visual proof before you get there

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
most of the time when exhaust glows red you have a lean condition. Cats will glow red first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just figured, that since it is barely showin up red hot that it was normal. On my tiller and my honda recon four wheeler, the pipe glows red as it is coming out of the head( at night). And that is just one cylinder. I figured that all six cylinders pouring into the cat at once, it would glow red just a little anyways. Doesn't the cat hold the exhaust in there a little bit to re-burn it? Maybe that's why it's glowing red. It doesn't give off the rotten egg smell until i really get on the truck, which is normal to my knowlege. Im not going to worry about it until it starts smelling like a rotten egg during normal driving.

·
Sure why not.
2,202 Posts
Rotten eggs are usually associated with the smell of sulfur not sure what that would be maybe burning rubber, belt slipping or something? And smelling like rotten eggs when you really get on the truck probably not normal? Lean condition is a good guess the leaner the hotter... Probably nothing wrong with the brand new cat? Is it directional maybe he put it on backwards?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no, i watched him put it on. He put the end with the "A" as the inlet and the "B" end is the outlet. And i cant believe nobody has ever smelled that stink that comes out of the exhaust due to the cat. Especially when your on the interstate and someone kicks on their car real good and it puts out that sulfurish smell. Last night i started the truck up and drove it down the road and back a few times and when i parked it, i looked under it and again, a little red was showing up just on the top of the cat. The truck runs like a charm and it's got plenty of black in the tailpipe, so i wouldn't think it is running too lean. Maybe i just got a cheap cat made with real thin metal, i dunno.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
It is fuel that gets the CAT hot. A miss-fire or too rich mixture will send excess fuel into the CAT getting it too hot. That is the most common cause of failed CATs. They are not warrantied against overheating. Nothing in the manufacturing of the CAT will cause it to overheat, it's caused by a miss-fire or poorly tuned engine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, i know it isn't running lean, i checked the timing and it is right on ALSO....... It does have plenty of black, but not a whole lot, out the end of the tail pipe... I just can't figure it out... when it is glowing red the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is not all that hot. I have a 2010 kia forte and after driving a while, the exhaust coming out of the back is much much hotter coming out of the tail pipe than the dime after driving it about the same amount of time, but nothing of the fortes' exhaust is red hot at all... i dont get it!!! What could possibly be going on here? The truck is not running bad at all, it runs perfect all the time.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Even though it feels like its running fine, it's a little off. That makes it stink and burn up converters. Poor fuel and oil burning may be contributing. Sulfur may help oil but is not good in fuel. Oxidizing hydrocarbons (burning fuel) left in exhaust is one reaction that catalytic converter can do but it should be a very limited amount.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its a 2.8 just keep dumping oil into it and turn up the radio.
yeah i agree... As far as oil burning goes tho, it only puffs a little blue at startup due to bad valve seals. I have put about 3200 on this oil change and it is still on the full mark. Also, the truck is getting about 21mpg in the city and around 25 or 26 on the interstate, which is pretty good for a truck IMO

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
My cat on my '89 Delta 88 done the same thing. Then it got so hot that it melted all the exhaust hangers, undercoat from the floor, and the coil packs ($180-ouch)

Your pre-OBD I or II and it won't hurt much to just cut the damn thing off and be done with it. I hate air pollution as much as anyone else, but I decided that keeping my shitty car on the road was more important than a negligible decrease in emissions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts