S-10 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2002 2.2l s10 and hope it last me for many more year however the other day in the junk yard I found another s10 of the same model with a good looking cold air intake. So I bought it and after a week of doing some driving test with a scanner I put it on and saw a marginal improvement in mpg and 0-60. My question is should I do a CAT back exhaust replacement. My plan was actually to just take the system off a 2000 model s10 that has a V6. Is this a good or bad idea. Personally I'm just doing this for fun and if i get the exhaust from the junk yard my wallet wont be to sad. Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
I put on a Magnflow cat back system and have been very happy with it. The sound is fairly mellow with a nice burble at idle.

Jake

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that mega flow system compatible to the V6 system. Just trying to stay as cheap as possible since I have access to a V6 s10 at the junkyard.

·
time to get cereal
2,091 Posts
I didn't really notice that much when I put my catback system on, it made more of a difference once I added the header and larger downpipe.

·
the new guy
578 Posts
take your muffler off and put a pipe in its place. don't just dump it under the truck though, leave everything else the same but just put a pipe to replace the muffler. its super cheap and won't effect the interior noise level because the tip is still back behind the wheel. you get free flowing exhaust and have your cai, plus its super cheap.

than if you want to later put a different muffler (borla, magnaflo, flowmaster, etc) its just a take the pipe off and put the new muffler in place, or do the cat back system, its your call.

my muffler came apart so I put a pipe on it till I take time to put the borla on. I like it. sounds like a hot rod v6 on decal and low rpms and sounds like a race car at high rpms. I am sure cars next to the tip don't like it but they have their windows up and ac on so its not horrible to them either

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear what your saying superj but I'm not really trying to be that guy with the 4 banger that's all noise. However, what I got from your message is that there no such thing as to much flow after the CAT?

·
the new guy
578 Posts
yup. the cat is a restriction, as can be the muffler, but once you get out a certain amount from the header, the gases are cooling and taking up less space so you don't have to worry about flow as much as you do at the cat and header. you do, but you don't, you know. if your pipe is the same size as before the cat, then you are fine for amount of gas that can be moved.

·
Administrator
21,195 Posts
yup. the cat is a restriction, as can be the muffler, but once you get out a certain amount from the header, the gases are cooling and taking up less space so you don't have to worry about flow as much as you do at the cat and header. you do, but you don't, you know. if your pipe is the same size as before the cat, then you are fine for amount of gas that can be moved.
You need to update your info. Todays cats, even from the factory flow just fine.

·
the new guy
578 Posts
i know they say that but when you push air through one, even the new ones restrict a bit. they are a lot better because the holes are larger instead of being the honeycomb looking stuff but put your shop vac on it and it sounds different when you blow into a cat versus a straight pipe so there is a restriction.

I know, not the most scientific way of testing but I don't have an air flow machine to get an actual cfm number and they won't let us "mechanics" use that stuff at work. the lab guys use that stuff

·
Administrator
21,195 Posts
A modern cat isn't going to cause enough of a restriction to make a hills worth of beans on an S10. Fix it...fix it right...

·
the new guy
578 Posts
I think you are getting angry over something no one is even saying they are doing. His cat is good, he asked about a cat back. We started on a run away talk but he never said he was cutting his cat off. He originally asked about cold air intake and than cat back.

We just got off topic

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
221 Posts
My daughter had a straight thru glasspack on her 2000 2.2 S-10 and it sounded like crap. Very loud, raspy, and droned. I can only image a straight pipe would sound the same on a 4 banger. They make some stainless steel performance mufflers as cheap as $30 on Amazon and they sound pretty good. Put one of them with your stock tailpipe and go with it. Or even get a 4.3 tailpipe if its bigger.

·
Administrator
21,195 Posts
I think you are getting angry over something no one is even saying they are doing. His cat is good, he asked about a cat back. We started on a run away talk but he never said he was cutting his cat off. He originally asked about cold air intake and than cat back.

We just got off topic
Not angry at all...just hate seeing outdated, incorrect info passed out to the new guys.

·
the new guy
578 Posts
not sure if its incorrect as a restriction is a restriction. yes it flows more but its still a restriction.

but either way, we can let it go as it doesn't matter anyways as the federal requirement is that cars are supposed to have all smog equipment that came from the factory. everyone should have them as they keep the air cleaner. I am not for removal of catalytic converters

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am incorrect. new cats do indeed flow enough that they don't cause a power loss. you are correct. I apologize for not researching more

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info guys I appreciated it :) Now I just need to find a new rear bumper cus of a hit and run. One step forward two steps back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts