1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
SSRT-S10
1,135 Posts
We used to, at my main shop, spray brakekleen in/over the 50 gallon drum. Somewhere down the line, this 50 gal steel drum became a trashcan(I wish I could find the idiot that started this). Then someone shoved this can near the main vise. You guessed it. I'm over there torching up a metal plate to make a braket..,and it didnt even cross my mind to think about that can.., and WHOOSH!! A BIG flame the size of hell came out of the can at me !!! No more eybrows.., no more hair in front.., and barely any moustache left.., burned my shirt.., it burned me up really good !! I cursed everyone in the shop out for 4 days afterwards !! "If ya got to spray it.., spray it on the concrete floor or in the parts cleaner!!!", I said to them. I forgot to mention.., 4 of the cans in the drum still had stuff in them AND THEY also exploded due to the trash catching on fire. I since removed the barrel from that area totally and painted on it "scrap metal only or your job !!!"

Now everyone there still thinks/and talks about this deal. To them, this is funny as hell.., `cause I sure looked stupid with no facial hair.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
wow, that's crazy how a little puff of smoke can do that much harm. goo to know though!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
wow, that's crazy how a little puff of smoke can do that much harm. goo to know though!

Many years ago I was gas welding across the roof on a Beetle, custom attempt. I had removed the headliner and the foam that is glued to the roof. I was tacking the panel and I guess I was too close to a patch of foam and glue residue and a wee bit of black smoke came up through the open door window. It suddenly felt like I had a knife jabbed up my nose into my sinuses and everything went black and I felt like I was falling. I was able to grab something as I went down and held the torch away from me. I came to sitting on the floor.

The by product of burning foam is arsenic, it only takes one good whiff to take you out. I just survived that one.

·
No longer a pizza tech.
12,179 Posts
Many years ago I was gas welding across the roof on a Beetle, custom attempt. I had removed the headliner and the foam that is glued to the roof. I was tacking the panel and I guess I was too close to a patch of foam and glue residue and a wee bit of black smoke came up through the open door window. It suddenly felt like I had a knife jabbed up my nose into my sinuses and everything went black and I felt like I was falling. I was able to grab something as I went down and held the torch away from me. I came to sitting on the floor.

The by product of burning foam is arsenic, it only takes one good whiff to take you out. I just survived that one.
**** that.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
^^^ that's no good to say the least. glad you made it out ok. its good to know this stuff. i know i have welded some stuff and it was not clean on the opposite side, wont be doing that again.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 11 of 11 Posts