S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What’s up everyone. I have a theory that I wanted to see I was correct about.

So I had my carb off today and noticed the secondary was not opening. There is a knuckle with a hook that keeps it closed the choke closed when you start the car. When the car heats up, you tap the pedal and the knuckle/hook allowing the choke blade to open. The reason it is not opening is because my choke isn’t working. My choke pull off is working because it sucks in the rod when the car is on. So, my choke is always closed. Heres my theory - This is pulling more fuel and not enough air. Also, if my secondary is not opening when my foot is at the floor then I’m loosing power and the air fuel mixture is off because theres not air coming through the secondary passage. This created less mpgs as well.

Is this correct? Can someone please fill in the blanks.

Thank you,
Yowakawaka

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there a way to test the choke heater? It’s a Rochester 2se.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,613 Posts
Man, I struggled with that garbage for 8 years. Never could get it right. Truck runs much better with a better carb. If you're in CA you'll never pass smog with the 4bbl I am guessing, but the Weber would probably be ok. Guessing again of course. I don't even live in a smog state, so I don't know if I'd take advice from me on this.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@jimmykicker Im just wondering how my carb works. I’m looking for a Weber but all the kits I’ve found are around $440. A little too rich fir my blood but I’m looking. I messaged a seller on Amazon for a better price and they said no. Still looking. If anyone sees an authentic kit cheaper, let me know.

Just wondering and trying to learn in the meantime.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got a special bonus from work so pulled the trigger on the Weber. Got me a K490 package. The big Bad 38/38!!! OHHHHHH WEEEEHHH!!!!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m looking for a fuel pressure regulator and gauge. Any brands I should avoid or any suggestions on a cheap one?

·
3,613 Posts
That Weber will make you be really surprised the power that 2.8 can actually make. The low end grunt is really similar to the 3.4. The main difference becomes the high RPM. The 2.8 just kind of says, "that's all she's got cap'n", where the 3.4 keeps pulling harder and harder and says, "gimmie fuel gimmie fire, gimmie that which I desire...UNGH!" @Mad Max will tell you too how to fix that with the correct cam I'm sure. If I'd kept my 2.8 I'd gone that route too.

Mr. Gasket for low pressure works just fine. Hand adjustable. Hell I'd give you mine if I could remember where it was from when I had the 4bbl. Inexpensive too.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was looking at that exact one @jimmykicker. Just wanted a gauge to confirm the fuel pressure is correct. I’m gonna get it!

·
3,613 Posts
I was looking at that exact one @jimmykicker. Just wanted a gauge to confirm the fuel pressure is correct. I’m gonna get it!
Yep. Definitely nothing fancy for sure, but it does the job, and you can adjust it without tools which is really pretty nice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts