S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I'd like to say that this forum has got me motivated to actually get some work done to my truck. I see some of the pics and read about some of the projects and it gets me fired up. I'm not doing anything too crazy to my truck, just basic maint. and repairs and hopefully a paint job this summer (along with a new front clip!). Anyway on to the topic of this thread:

I'm looking at buying another V-6 to replace mine when it eventually goes. I'm currently running a 2.8 with fuel injection (250,000 km) and the used engine I'm looking at is a 2.8 with a carburetor (33,000 km).
Can I swap the carb for the injector or do I need to swap the whole intake? And do I need to do anything with the fuel pump? The parts truck also comes with a 4 speed 700r tranny with an over drive ( I think) which will require some work to get it up and running, any idea on the resale value of the tranny as it sits (not working). Any input would be very helpful.

I'm also looking at buying an '89 S15 Sierra Classic. The 4.3 is shot but the rest of the truck is in good shape, immac. interior and minor surface rust. Possible future 'toy'.

Again, this is a great site for S10 info! Thanks, thanks, thanks!

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
to go to 4.3 yer gonna need the engine mounnts the 2.8 you have the option to get an adapter carb to TBI or you can swap the entire intake... the tranny is a 4 speed auto 4th being OD

honestly if yer looking at a complete truck i would look into a Silverado with a 350 TBI makes for a fairly easy drop in and the 2.8 wont touch it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Four minutes! Damn that's service! Thanks for the reply HuTcH! I'm just going to be swapping the 2.8's so that should go realatively easy. I don't have a use for the tranny, but someone might want it sooner or later. Silverado,eh? Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After reading the "2.8 Lifespan" thread (and the enclosed links) I'm beginning to think my money might be better spent on looking for a whole newer vehicle. My 2.8 isn't giving me any trouble and it still starts,pulls and stops when I want it to. I am considering replacing the front clip, repainting the truck (and the canopy to match) and doing a bit of work on the interior. All in all I think it'll cost me around $3000. I should be able to find something in the Buy & Sell a bit newer and in better shape for that price. This is the first time I've considered doing any major work to my truck. Any suggestions/ideas/input?

·
Registered
108 Posts
It was mentioned in the 2.8 lifespan thread, but the early carb motors aren't as tough as the later TBI versions (which have larger main bearings, a better crankshaft seal, and various small improvements). So, swapping a carb 2.8 into your TBI vintage truck would be a step backwards.

(As an aside, despite all of the crappy stuff you can say about them, I know a guy that has a carbed 2.8 that has gone 305k miles, so they aren't all bad. )

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I was thinking along those lines anyway so I think I'll hold off on the swap and just get the body work done. I can always pick up a newer 2.8 later on. Thanks again.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you have the garden variety 2.8 FI you have about 125HP on the older engines.

The high output versions are 140HP.

I am in the process of carbing a high output. I'm putting on a 2.5" exhaust with Moroso spiral flow muffler, and an Edelbrock intake with Holley 4 barrell on top.

I figure about 180 HP when it's done. I'm getting the parts for under $1,000.

So if you want more juice, a swap is not a bad idea, but I'm not doing it because I've got 120,000 kms. on the motor and there are too many 2.8's out there with 250,000+kms to throw a good block away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts