S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, where can i get sheets or rolls of carbon fiber? i was thinkin about doin my interior in it. cause i'm having my truck painted charcoal gray on the top 1/4 and white on the bottom 3/4, and having a carbon fiber strip seperating the two colors. and i'm doing my interior to match. i've got some really cool white and gray material, just needing some carbon fiber stuff! any help would be greatly pre-shated!:D

·
Begginer Mini trucker
107 Posts
They have rolls of carbon fiber at autozone.. But i'd be a little leery about that Cause the adhesive would wear down in the heat.. so i don't know..

post pics when you get it done.

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have rolls of carbon fiber at autozone.. But i'd be a little leery about that Cause the adhesive would wear down in the heat.. so i don't know..

post pics when you get it done.
yea i think so too. i did find a place that sells actual carbon fiber material. it's $44 a yrd. kinda costly but whay tha hell. i'm ordering 6 yrds of it. now i just need to find someone that can put it on for me! i'm doin my whole dash and everything else that's plastic. will put pics up as it goes! :D

·
Go Vols!
408 Posts
Could be talking out my ass here, but a guy i work with used to use it at his old job and said its similar to laying fiberglass.

·
I Have A S-10 Addiction
1,595 Posts

·
I'm a huge ass
10,798 Posts
Ehhh....
Interior would be one thing, but over paint would be something else, I wouldn't put it on the exterior on the car, unless you had it clearcoated with the rest of the truck...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Ehhh....
Interior would be one thing, but over paint would be something else, I wouldn't put it on the exterior on the car, unless you had it clearcoated with the rest of the truck...

I agree. Nonetheless the project sounds like it's gonna look pretty sick. Post your pics when you're done.

·
Neglected & Broke
2,224 Posts
yea i think so too. i did find a place that sells actual carbon fiber material. it's $44 a yrd. kinda costly but whay tha hell. i'm ordering 6 yrds of it. now i just need to find someone that can put it on for me! i'm doin my whole dash and everything else that's plastic. will put pics up as it goes! :D

do you have a link to where you bought it?

·
51,327 Posts
glad you're doin the real thing, and not some vinyl overlay bs.

may be of a lil assistance to you, but here is a first gen with a carbon fiber interior...i got the pics at autofair back in march, the truck is owned by muscle motorsports? or maybe they were the ones that built it?...i was at their shop this morning, and i asked about the truck, and they just said that it wasn't at the shop now, bdon't know if that means its one of the guys that works there, or maybe a customer truck...

·
Rarely goes over 20mph
3,163 Posts
its pretty much same process as fiberglassing, its a sheet of fiber material just like fiberglass sheets, you lay resin down, then the sheet, and resin ontop if you have a hard mold, if not you pretty much do the same as fiberglass.

i would make sure you know how to fiberglass like a pro before you dump the money on carbon fiber :rolleyes:

·
I Like Fire....HaHaHa
5,297 Posts
its pretty much same process as fiberglassing, its a sheet of fiber material just like fiberglass sheets, you lay resin down, then the sheet, and resin ontop if you have a hard mold, if not you pretty much do the same as fiberglass.

i would make sure you know how to fiberglass like a pro before you dump the money on carbon fiber :rolleyes:
Yes, and No.

It is sort of like fiberglassing. Like you mentioned you lay down yoru base, then the cloth and then lay base. Then you lay another base, wetsand it and then buff it.

Base = epoxy resin, not resin resin like most would think.

Also, you are very right about experience. This guy better be a pro at fiberglassing before even thinking about trying carbon fiber or kevlar. The process is similar, but the way the fabric reacts is not.

·
Registered
421 Posts
sorry i work at autozone and i know i have never seen anything for Carbon fiber cloth... maybe some carbon stickers or some possible cloth on a shift knob but no cloth sheets..

·
Registered
421 Posts
it might not look bad even if you just layed the cloth over say your dash and didnt glass over it...

just woke up so its hard to picture

·
51,327 Posts
sorry i work at autozone and i know i have never seen anything for Carbon fiber cloth... maybe some carbon stickers or some possible cloth on a shift knob but no cloth sheets..
:rotf: you don't buy that shit at autozone....

or anything authentically carbon fiber for that matter, i'm sure...maybe it looks like carbon fiber...but nehhhh...

·
Banned
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
do you have a link to where you bought it?
here's the web site, www.jamestowndistributors.com and i talked w/ one of the techs there and he said that it's alot like fiberglassing, but how nick zigatis explained it! i'm gonna give it some test runs on an old dash i got laying around and see how it goes. will post pics once i get started on my stuff. thanks to everyone for their posts, was greatly pre-shated! :tup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts