S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[email protected] :bash:
i need some help!!!! my dad bought this 85 blazer with a 2.8L v6. we found some oil in the coolant . so he proceeded to rebuild the top end. he got bored quick and sent it to a buddy of his to finish. this was a year ago. i recently aquired the truck . so now it's my head ache. it runs but very rough especially at idle. during the rebuild all the emmisions where removed. i think this is the cause of the rough running.
i don't want to replace the emmissions, but the carb is set up for them. i think a basic carb b/4 all the smog junk would fix it. but i have no idea where to find one. any suggestions????????

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Well a boneyard is the best place to get the older parts at a decent price. Ya might have to tinker with it a little but it would be worth it.

also I might have a solution for you also. I am in the process of putting a 4.3 into my 86 blazer wich had a fi 2.8 the motor needs rebuilt but all the xtras are fine. As soon as I am done swapping I am gonna be sellin all my old parts. If you do not find anything by then I can make you a deal on the fi parts from the motor if you would be interested.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
so what all u plan on doing to the 4.3? :evilg: :evilg: gunna build it b4 u put it in?

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
Fast98SS350 said:
so what all u plan on doing to the 4.3? :evilg: :evilg: gunna build it b4 u put it in?
Nothing at the moment. Just gotta get it in for now.

·
Resident Mechanic
365 Posts
oh, i no a guy here that got a 2.8 put a 650 4barrel holley on it and did a ton of other crap like shaved and ported heads, headers and sum other stuff got like 340hp at the rearwheels

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry it took so long to reply. i'm a trucker and i'm usually gone. anyway, thnx for the offer, but i'll pass.the jimmy is going to my wifes so i really just want to keep it stoick. the boneyard was a good idea. but i always seem to carbs from therew worse than the one i'mm replacing. i have a new 2 barrel rochester that i took off my c10. but the linkage on the jimmy is on the other side, and the basses are different. the jimmy has a longer , skinnier base.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've got a spare carb, although I won't be able to get it out for a week or so.

I would want my mechanic to at least pull it apart, clean, and inspect it before I send it off (preferably re-build it).

If you need it I could mail it for probably 30 bux canadian, plus my mechanics costs plus postage.

Although I personally believe that getting yours profesionally re-build is better.

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Weber Carb Conversion: http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=323
While I know it's costly, you could always find just the 38DGES carb on ebay or for sale locally. I did a conversion on a project Benz and I love the Weber; very easy to adjust and maintain.
I'm just suggesting it in case you decide to buy a new/rebuilt carb for the truck. Always good to have options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
OverBoardProject said:
I've got a spare carb, although I won't be able to get it out for a week or so.

I would want my mechanic to at least pull it apart, clean, and inspect it before I send it off (preferably re-build it).

If you need it I could mail it for probably 30 bux canadian, plus my mechanics costs plus postage.

Although I personally believe that getting yours profesionally re-build is better.
Do you still have the carb for sale? I have an '85 v6 that Ive had for about 2 weeks. It runs great, but at slow speeds it seems to flood. So I looked at the carb and it is covered with some sort of caulk like material, so I am assuming it leeks. Let me know about the carb and if anyone has any ideas about the old let me know.
Thanks,
Dylan

·
Resident Jackass
1,966 Posts
integrity said:
Do you still have the carb for sale? I have an '85 v6 that Ive had for about 2 weeks. It runs great, but at slow speeds it seems to flood. So I looked at the carb and it is covered with some sort of caulk like material, so I am assuming it leeks. Let me know about the carb and if anyone has any ideas about the old let me know.
Thanks,
Dylan
I have a carb for a 2.8 that I would let you have, if you really want it. I took it off because it ran like shit in cold weather, and no amount of rebuilding or tinkering would correct the problem. I went to the 4 barrel holley and edelbrock intake, and love it. the conversion costs around $500, and it is like a whole new truck. BTW, removing the emissions from mine didn't affect the way it ran at all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts