S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have the LT1 already Id rather a carb setup for the reason it always looks cleaner. So how many 2nd gen guys have a carb setup and are able to read the gauges? Stock gauges are useable Im sure but how is my question. Please you all know the carb setup is bad.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will go carbed if I can get this answer I wnat to use all stock gauges. I payed 3 for all of it so if ya want it and I cant use it you will be the first bidder.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well i got aftermarket gauges, only stock gauge that works is the volts. A carb motor doesn't really use a computer and thats how all the 2nd gen gauges work. For speedometer, ur gonna have to use an electronic transmission and probably a stand alone computer since ur using a carb. I don't see how the tach will work since its tied into the pc, and on a carb motor it ties into the tach. (i know there are more gauges, i am just not sure how to go about hookin them up) Basically it adds up to alot more money.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO if I do go carbd I better off pulling the stock gagues out and creating my own gauge setup.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, i left mine in, ig ot the tach and shiftlight on the dash and the aftermarket gauges on mount below the stereo. Everyone to there own though.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Gauges...

The fuel gauge doesn't need any comment obviously -
The alt. gauge hooks up as works OK if you get an alternator with the same plug configuration as the old one and hook it up the same (any parts store alt. catalog will give you the original plug setup as an addendum in their listings) - you're probably looking to redo the alt. if it was a 2.2 engine as original anyway to get more amps for fans etc. - 4.3's are probably a no brainer..
The oil pressure gauge will work the same if you either get another sender with the proper plug configuration as the original engine sender had (for example 'Standard' - brand name) type catalogs will state the original plug wire count and configuration to match up or just steal the one from your old engine and mount it to your new block with whatever thread adapter configuration works (even my old 2.2 sender worked when adapted to my 350 block.
Tach - forget it - but who wants to use that old - probably fairly inaccurate and slow deal compared to an AutoMeter or ? anyway.
Speedo - if its a 2nd gen you will need a magnetic/electronic sensor that matches the original plug configuration and new gear on the output shaft (I'm talking 700r4 type deal here) and it will work OK.

·
Pressurized 2.2 Member
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn whos done their home work. So everything but the tach and that really only takes a rework of changin a resitor. Thanks a million now to create the beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts