S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my beretta got pwned by a ram that ran a stop sign. i got a ticket for expired plates. is the insurance able to use that as an excuse to not pay?

·
Just a member
6,626 Posts
that has nothing to do with who is liable and has to pay. you just have to pay the ticket for expired tags. if it is still drivable, you may even get it dropped if you get the tags and show the court.

·
Registered
556 Posts
imnot sure what your local laws are but i was t boned in a cadilac 4 months back car had wrong plates not even registered to me or matching the car and there wasnt any insurance held on that vechicle they still wrote me a check the next day less that 24 hours later for 3900.00 when i only had 400.00 in the car . good thing the guy had progressive

·
11,199 Posts
miniburples10 said:
that has nothing to do with who is liable and has to pay. you just have to pay the ticket for expired tags. if it is still drivable, you may even get it dropped if you get the tags and show the court.
Here if you have no insurance it's automatically your fault. I'm sure it would be similar if you had expired plates.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its my moms car that i drive everywhere. i never even bothered to check the tags since she told me shed take care of it. its been expired a long time, so if we've been making payments to the ins company, its insured, right? its a non-moving violation thing

and the car is totaled

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the person who hit me had insurance. and the cop said it shouldnt be a problem, they might even dismiss it if i get the tags renewed ASAP

·
Just a member
6,626 Posts
jeremys said:
its my moms car that i drive everywhere. i never even bothered to check the tags since she told me shed take care of it. its been expired a long time, so if we've been making payments to the ins company, its insured, right? its a non-moving violation thing

and the car is totaled
you do not even know if it is insured? well I would check on that. and i know in most states it does not matter about the plates, insurance, etc. who pays is the one shown at fault. if you have violations on the car, you have to pay those tickets, but the person at fault has to pay for the accident.

·
Just a member
6,626 Posts
jeremys said:
the person who hit me had insurance. and the cop said it shouldnt be a problem, they might even dismiss it if i get the tags renewed ASAP
yep that is what i said ealier. that is the way most places work.

·
Registered
12,726 Posts
tags can actually be expired it should be a non moving violation and the insurance companys cant use it against you. its the same with inspections here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
the person who hit you will pay for damage (even the total loss of your vehicle ) thats not a problem . UR Tags won't be an issue to exclude you from getting money from the accident as you weren't at fault . AS long as it was insurred its good .other wise the cop would have givin you a ticket for no -insurance . you'll get a check in the mail from the insurance company as you said the cop said the ram was at fault . just pay your fine for the expired tags you'll get that money back once you get money for the accident . so its a wash .

·
I'm probably drunk.
8,650 Posts
if you werent insured you would be in jail for driving it

at least thats how it is here

he hit you, its his fault, they will pay

but they will try and screw you on the price more than likely

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what states are 'no fault' states and what does that mean? i'm in wisconsin

i dont know a whole lot about insurance. but i used to have an 88 grand am that got rear ended and we got the value of the car plus medical bills paid for. the tags were probably good on that car though

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
reg has nothing to do with ins if your current on payments they have to pay

1 - 20 of 29 Posts