S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Amature Customizer
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering what were the positives and negatives of cantilever setups and if people with the setups would post pics it would be appreciated......thanks

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
Now are you referring to a REAL cantilever setup or just a levered setup?? Big difference between the two.

Nate

·
I cant win for loosing.
3,226 Posts
Positives would be increased lift to bag ratio, better ride quality, and better appearance.
Negatives could be loss of room in the bed, worse load carrying ability, and alot of people hovering around trying to figure out how it works. Wait thats a good thing.

Oh and what he said.:rant:

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
More stress on components close to the bag.. ( but if designed to handle them it is fine)

Outher then that lol they rock!

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
A true cantilever has many benefits... it can be fine tuned and installed to work any way you like... anything from a 1:1 ratio, to a 3:1 ratio with the bags. It can ride well, or ride poor.... and it can look awesome, or look not so awesome.

Some of the cons: takes time to setup properly. If its your first time building one, you WILL run into issues. Maybe not right away, but down the road.

·
Amature Customizer
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was talkin about a real cantilever setup..i wouldnt have to worry about room in the bed because it would be goin in a blazer...but i realize that with itin a blazer i couldnt enclose it but i was just wanting to know some of the beneifits and down falls of it before i decided to do anything...

·
YOU ARE GAY
1,781 Posts
yea whatever you you do dont buy them small wimpy heims ive got some big ass heims here is a pic of mine and it gets 11 inches of lift
[/IMG]

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
baggedsdime, i like the setup but i think the cantilever masterpiece you did there may not be strong enough, i can see it being strong in pure compression but the fact that you have them angled at like 45 degrees to the axle that you're lifting leaves me to believe that when you lift there will be torsion in it. They seem to have no cross bracing and i don't know if they'll last. But if they work they work, i'm just shouting my concern, looks good tho! :tup:

·
Registered Asshole
5,823 Posts
whitebowtie9 said:
baggedsdime, i like the setup but i think the cantilever masterpiece you did there may not be strong enough, i can see it being strong in pure compression but the fact that you have them angled at like 45 degrees to the axle that you're lifting leaves me to believe that when you lift there will be torsion in it. They seem to have no cross bracing and i don't know if they'll last. But if they work they work, i'm just shouting my concern, looks good tho! :tup:

I dont really see a problem with it. Alot of guys do things like that, not saying their all correct, but i dont see a problem with his setup. I just hope that where he has the bags mounted is a piece of 2x4 box and not 2x2, cause the pressure of that tube mounted to only the top of the frame rail and maybe some of the side will creat a huge amount of stress on the frame. Otherwise i think it looks good. I like the bent round tubing!

·
Registered
62 Posts
trust me the system runs heim joints designed for rock crawlers (huge). when the arms go down to lift the truck there isnt any side to side motion of the arms, its simple geometry. any twisting if any from the arms is taken care of with the huge heim joints that allow the axle to twist and move with out any interfering with the upward or downward motion of the arms. its the same as your upper triangulated 4 link bars do they bind during movement? all my stuff is built like a brick sh*t house over kill is what we do. thanks for the compliment though

·
gumby green
3,478 Posts
baggedsdime said:
trust me the system runs heim joints designed for rock crawlers (huge). when the arms go down to lift the truck there isnt any side to side motion of the arms, its simple geometry. any twisting if any from the arms is taken care of with the huge heim joints that allow the axle to twist and move with out any interfering with the upward or downward motion of the arms. its the same as your upper triangulated 4 link bars do they bind during movement? all my stuff is built like a brick sh*t house over kill is what we do. thanks for the compliment though

i got ya, sounds good enough to me, i suppose if the material is thick enough there would be no problems, just curious, nice setup

1 - 20 of 31 Posts