S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, new to the forum...and the oldschool gm game...here we go
just picked up a 2 door 88 jimmy with carbed 350-t700r4-8.5 ten bolt w/oem posi (as far as power is concerned pretty sure its a stock truck engine) and plenty of reliably mods to do before getting into the fun stuff.

problem: it came with welds prolite's, and the appropriate lugs, but seems the stud knurling was too long and would actually bottom out the lug. which worked their way loose...upon disassembly someone already tried to tack weld the studs in, naturally they broke loose and made a bit of a mess of things...temporary fix ive welded them in very hot, minus the one bent one, and maybe use an extra washer...untill i can get new axles.
easier said than done apparently... 26.75" in 28 spline only seem to exist for the 7.5" (and 30 spline for the 8.5)

Question(s): will the 7.5" axles work in the 8.5"? do they exist-off the shelf- for 8.5" ive only seen two forms about it and mixed answers- naturally id like to be 100% before ordering parts

thanks,

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Registered
2,121 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

im not sure what it came out of tbh
Just the measurements,
That being said- both axles you sent would be wrong- Yukon is 30 spline (for 8.5) and the moser is “for 7.6”

thats why I’m wondering if someone had just put in axles for the 7.6- apparently they will fit the spider gears-and you need different bearings- so that’s more or less what I was looking into at this point

·
Horsepower Addict
264 Posts
Through '88 the 8.5" rear had 28 spline axles, after that they upgraded to an 8.6" with 30 spline

The 88 & earlier 7.5" had 26 spline & later models (called a 7.6") were 28 spline.

Look into this....
There is a chance the later 28 spline 7.6" axles will fit the earlier 8.5" rear.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Put the 7.62 axle in the 8.5" tube to see if it interlocks with the splines

I would call Moser or Yukon

Reactions: jimmy the blazer

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Excellent

1 - 9 of 9 Posts