S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Chat Bitch
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a couple 10s into my truck last week (JL Audio 10w1 *i think*) in a custom-built box, and listening to some songs, i discovered that it will hit the really low notes like a mofo, but the higher notes (high *sub* notes, not like tweeter range high) it barely hits. Any ideas? The amp I have is a Pyramid 300w 2-channel with 8ga power/ground (for now, soon 4ga.), and the box is 15" high, 45" long, 8" deep (bottom) & 4" deep (top), built out of 1/2" mdf.

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
well the amp isnt the greatest.. so i would start there for sure... but other than that.. check the frequency on the amp.. set it around 80-100, and go from there..

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Set the frequency how? The only adjustments I have are gain, treble and bass.
That is because you have a shit amp. Buy a proper amp and you will have more settings that should be able to correct the problems you are having.

·
Chat Bitch
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's sort of what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll get a new amp in a couple weeks after I get paid.

·
Banned
7,395 Posts
and without any other controls besides the gain, how and the hell are you supposed to tune your subs? . . . if you want an affordable amp to power those subs, look into Hifonics. . .they aren't the best amps in the world, but they are hard to beat for the price you pay for them. . . i have a Hifonics ZX4000 2 channel amp powering my 2 RE10s right now. . .it provides the REs with around 175 watts RMS each and it has easy to use controls for setting the low pass filter. . . not a bad little amp for around $130

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
ALSO!!!!!!!!!!

your box is sealed i am guessing. in that case your box is about .5 cubes TOO BIG!

which means the subs are getting TOO much air space allowing them to get low, but not high.

Try adding some wood to the inside of the box to take out some more air space.

you should be around 1.25 cubes plus sub displacement. (.025 per sub.) so 1.3 cubes total, and your box has 1.78 cubes.

·
Chat Bitch
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
**** me, I was afraid it might be something like that. So if I add about .5 cubes of wood, it should hit the higher notes correct? And yes it is sealed...supposedly. It didn't seal properly when I made it the first time, so this would be a good excuse to reseal it :D Could that also be causing some problems?

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
if it isnt sealed right, then build a new one.. you may be able to use some of your old box if you need too.. and you are missing alot of your subs potential using that amp.. look into a nice mono channel amp.. if im not mistaken, them subs are single voice coil, and come in a 4ohm or 8ohm coil configuration.. which is yours? and they are white right? with two of them you can wire them for a 2ohm or 4ohm load..

·
Chat Bitch
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They're single voice coil, and they're black actually. And I guess I'll be doing some trimming on my box. What's the best recommended amp for them on a budget?

·
working at 145bpm
1,025 Posts
still depends on the coil configuration really.. a JL 250/1 would probably work fine, if you wanted to go with that.. Kicker 400.1.. something that will give each 200rms or so a piece..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts