S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was waxing my truck a while back and accidentally got some wax on my air dam. As you all know, the stock air dam is sorta rough feeling, and I haven't been able to get the white residue off the damn thing. Does anyone know how to remove it?

·
Drivin' 2 Noma's
4,274 Posts
I havn't used it and I don't know who makes it, but Ive seen a product called Back to Black witch is suppose to remove the wax. Check your local auto parts stores I guess. At work we use a product called Kleensol to remove wax from paint it works very good, I assume it will work on the plastic as well.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Back to Black doesn't work to remove wax...voice of experience...still trying..

·
Never Finished
1,599 Posts
wash with a little Dawn, and that should get it off.

·
Registered
604 Posts
wax

the reason you can not get the wax off is becuase you have contaimanents above the actual paint surface that your rubbing the wax into. Take a clay bar and some quick detailer, or soap suds in a spray bottle. Clay bar it and the polish and wax it. it will come off as smooth as silk.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Re: wax

quamen said:
the reason you can not get the wax off is becuase you have contaimanents above the actual paint surface that your rubbing the wax into. Take a clay bar and some quick detailer, or soap suds in a spray bottle. Clay bar it and the polish and wax it. it will come off as smooth as silk.
I think he is talking about the urethane air dam...pita to get wax off of.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
quamen said:
yeah it is painted isnt it? clay bar it and see what the difference makes.
No it's not painted...

·
Registered
604 Posts
hmm

you mean the front peice on the xtreme?
yes it is painted, or maybe im stepping on toes and dont know what the hell im talking about. i thoguht the air dam is the front ground effect peice with the licence plate filler. if so , that is painted.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,668 Posts
Re: hmm

quamen said:
you mean the front peice on the xtreme?
yes it is painted, or maybe im stepping on toes and dont know what the hell im talking about. i thoguht the air dam is the front ground effect peice with the licence plate filler. if so , that is painted.
SS Hugger didn't mention Xtreme in his post. I would guess by looking at his screen name that he has an SS. He did mention it had a rough texture so my guess is that it is the factory urethane air dam...BTW...no problem..I have tough toes...:D

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
When we get wax on pieces like that at work we usually tell the customer we are sorry, but there is nothing we can do. We have over 50 different chemicals and cleaners and none will work. If you put armoral over it it will possibly cover it, but thats just temporary.

·
xtremefour
1,805 Posts
Don't know it helps but got wax on my door handles, amazingly the only thing that would take it off was WD-40. Nothing else would even work.

·
Registered
604 Posts
if you do something do it right. I would never detail a car and then say sorry to the custmer were going ot charge you, but we got wax on ur shit. No offense futuresweet s10, but if you owned the company that would be aimed at you. It takes 5 mintues to mask that off and eliminate that problem. Anyways your obviously not even detailing the car right. After it is primed (clay bar, doubt the place does that), everythign should be dressed. This is so when that happens, that is protection already on the door handles if u decided not to mask

·
Black SS
5,869 Posts
You talking about white wax residue on the front plastic valance? Best thing to get that off that I have seen is Son of A Gun cleaner. I heard they dont make it anymore, but it works good.

·
former title junky mod
6,493 Posts
quamen said:
if you do something do it right. I would never detail a car and then say sorry to the custmer were going ot charge you, but we got wax on ur shit. No offense futuresweet s10, but if you owned the company that would be aimed at you. It takes 5 mintues to mask that off and eliminate that problem. Anyways your obviously not even detailing the car right. After it is primed (clay bar, doubt the place does that), everythign should be dressed. This is so when that happens, that is protection already on the door handles if u decided not to mask
Actually the place I work at knows what to do. It is a major multimillion dollar a year company, BUT... They dont train new people worth a shit and the managers are hired based on how good of a deal they can give the owner on drugs, sad, but true. When I do a car at work I do it right and never have a complaint, I never get wax on anything but where it should be. There are a few customers that come in to the shop I work at and if Im not ther they leave, thats how good I am at what I do. Yes, we do do clay bar, but of coarse not every car gets it (someone who buys a 10dollar wash obviously wouldnt get clay bar used on their car). I have recently started my own detailing business and every one of my customers has been happy so far. I said that when we get wax on stuff at work, that would mean anyone at work, not just me.
I personally would not take my truck there becuase of the crappy quality of work that some of the employees do.

EDIT: I am in school to be an autobody tech right now, so I know how to wet sand and we are about to start offering wetsanding at work. IMO they are makeing a huge mistake. Just goes to show the neglegance of the place I work at..

·
Registered
377 Posts
try some lacquer thinner

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I threw my "back to black" away. I would have rather taken it "back to the store". I thought I heard someone say that peanut butter & a tooth brush will take that right off of there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts