S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But I'm driving track above 3000 RPMs. Coolant gauge won't budge. When I stop cool and starts temperature gauge starts to rise sometimes overheats. All started when my heater stopped working. Look at coolant it was very nasty so flush system and added new coolant. Have been having cooling issues ever since. Replace thermostat and radiator

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
When I'm driving truck above 3000 RPMs. Coolant gauge won't budge. When I stop cool and starts temperature gauge starts to rise sometimes overheats. All started when my heater stopped working. Look at coolant it was very nasty so flush system and added new coolant. Have been having cooling issues ever since. Replace thermostat and radiator

·
Been there Done it
6,937 Posts
Still got something in your heater core. Pull both hoses and with a garden hose run water one way then the other until it flows well and clean. Probably should get a Prestone flush kit and install it in one of the heater hoses and flush the whole system again. Twice. A day or 2 apart. Also check that your belt is in good shape. Water pump might be slipping or bad because all that crud ate the bearing. Over the counter thermostats have been known to occasionally be defective.
According to my calculations a ZR2 with stock tires at 3000 rpms in OD is going 106.75 mph.
101.7 mph if it's a 5 speed.
That could be your problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Overheating at standstill could also indicate a bad fan/fan clutch.

Once you get the heater core flushed out don't be surprised if it springs a leak. This has happened to me on multiple occasions. Clogged core - I flush it out - not long after she's misting coolant into the cab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still got something in your heater core. Pull both hoses and with a garden hose run water one way then the other until it flows well and clean. Probably should get a Prestone flush kit and install it in one of the heater hoses and flush the whole system again. Twice. A day or 2 apart. Also check that your belt is in good shape. Water pump might be slipping or bad because all that crud ate the bearing. Over the counter thermostats have been known to occasionally be defective.
According to my calculations a ZR2 with stock tires at 3000 rpms in OD is going 106.75 mph.
101.7 mph if it's a 5 speed.
That could be your problem.
Going to work on the heater core. What's a good way to check if the water pump is working properly. I took off top hose of radiator to see how much Flo was coming out of it it was more like a trickle when I when I revved up truck flow increase the bit how much flow should there be. Also thought that tranny might not be shifting into fifth gear. At 3000 RPMs I'm doing a little over 70 on the freeway

·
Registered
9 Posts
Going to work on the heater core. What's a good way to check if the water pump is working properly. I took off top hose of radiator to see how much Flo was coming out of it it was more like a trickle when I when I revved up truck flow increase the bit how much flow should there be. Also thought that tranny might not be shifting into fifth gear. At 3000 RPMs I'm doing a little over 70 on the freeway
pull the top hose off the radiator and see if it pumps out the fluid. I will stick the hose in where the radiatior cap goes on full. The fluid wont flow right away due to the thermostat being closed. If after a few minutes after the engine is heated up the thermostat doesn't open, it may be gunked up as well, and is stuck in the closed position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the water pump the whole time replace it today every one of the impeller blades were gone I wish I'd done that first
pull the top hose off the radiator and see if it pumps out the fluid. I will stick the hose in where the radiatior cap goes on full. The fluid wont flow right away due to the thermostat being closed. If after a few minutes after the engine is heated up the thermostat doesn't open, it may be gunked up as well, and is stuck in the closed position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was the water pump the whole time replaced it today. Every one of the impeller blades were gone. Cooling systems to working fine have great Heat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts