S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fleetwood Truckers So. Cal.
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spoke a to someone from JBA and the said I won't be able to put their headers on my truck unless I do some modifing to my truck and the headers. I have a 99 S10 2WD 4.3L V6 with a 7.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift.
What they said my steering arm is in the way. They said I might be able to fit them if I bend the tube closest to the arm for some clearence. Also I might have to adjust my steering arm. Isn't that some bullsh*t.

Anyone have some opinions? I called Edlebrock they do not exactly have headers out for a 99 yet. They are not sure if the headers for a 98 will fit and also if they have the same problem as JBA.

I hate this I wanted some headers and now I can't.

Chad

·
Self Portrait
1,634 Posts
Wait

Wait for a set that fits! If you bend the tubes you'll probably destroy any gains that you would get from them. Take the money and go get some head work done.......And I'm talking about at the machine shop...not in the local red-light district! ;)

Good luck!

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Chad, Thats BULL $HIT. I took the JBA headers off my 96 and put them on my 00. The steering shaft goes right thru between the
pipes. Just had to remove the A.I.R bull $hit. Still passes all the
emission tests.

·
Point Blank Customs
49 Posts
custom make them or get a speed shop to do it for you...not everything has to be store bought.

Peace,
Spyda
PBC

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Chad, It doesn't make a diff if its lifted or not. Does your truck
have the A.I.R. on it? Mite not on a 99. you can always have the
fittings welded in if you do.

·
Point Blank Customs
49 Posts
not all exhaust shops will be able to fab headers - there is a lot involved with them - some guys like to have each tube equal length, some like to offset them a little.

the theory behind headers is this: your engine shoot out the exhaust fumes in little pulses from each cylinder- to make a perfect header you want to try not to make two tubes shoot out at the same time (this is from something known as bernoulli's principle...it has to do with fluid velocities and pressures....basically the higher the velocity the lower the pressure). Now if you can collect the tubes when only 1 is firing you can create a sort of vacuum that will actually help suck out the rest of the exhaust (will flow from high pressure to low pressure). by having equal length tubes you have a good chance of accomplishing this.

however, there are a lot more to headers than that. On turbo'ed engines many people go with cast exhaust manifolds rather than headers because they withstand the extreme heat from the turbo.

there's really a lot to it, but unless you are building a super-tuned drag car you really don't need to worry about this. Your biggest worry should be finding a shop who does good quality work (good welding, uses good metal, will advise ceremic coating, past experience, etc.) - I don't think that every Midas around the country will be able to do this, but I imagine that there are some shops out there - you just have to look around and ask.

Peace,
Spyda
Point Blank Customs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts