S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've searched the forum for this, everyone seems to be just replacing the whole fuel tank. What about for us doobs who don't have a problem with the stock tank? Hey SLAMMEDDIME I got this pic off your gallery so please don't sue me... Anyways, this crap sits right on top of the damn axel, what the piss am I supposed to do with it? I got an 03 dime, will the stock lines be long enough for me to just put it somewhere else? If not, what am I supposed to do with it? I figured get longer lines and put it somewhere else, but just want to know what you guys are doing with it.
Thanks...

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
i moved it to the outside of the frame.in between the body and the frame right before the wheel well. if u move it there, all u have to is disconnect the lines and mark them so u know where they go, then bend the line so it will reach to the outside, u can run one of the lines through the hole in the frame, then just screw it in, and yer done and its out of the way. some people say u can just remove it, then some say it will throw a code, and cause yer check engine light to come on, id just relocate it though

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't want to take it off because its a new truck and I don't want to hack it all up you know. So you're saying to put it on the left side of the fuel tank? Hmmm, if it fits, I don't see why not. Also, is there an "up" side to this? I mean, will it go all wacko if I put it sideways? By the way, you got pics of yours like this?
Thanks...

·
!! TALK NOW !!
4,910 Posts
You could do what Slammed did. I am pretty sure that is all the stock tubes. Just unbolt it. drill holes in the gas x member and bolt it up. It will be harder on the lines because of the angle yours will be. If you are going to bags on. You will be chopin the truck up. This is a little task. Doesn't take much effort at all. I would put it where you can get to itand make it look clean.
My 2 cents

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On top of the gas tank x-member, hmm, thanks drps10. Mine is a lot thinner than the one on the picture so it should work just fine. If not, then like lownineyfo said, I'll just put it off to the side. But I still want to make sure, would it go berserk if I mount this thing (what the piss is this called anyways?) sideways?
Thanks again...

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Dont take it off, you dont need to. If it was an older truck pre-OBD-II Id say take it off..

You can easily move it anywhere, above the muffler is common ans well as in the spare tire area and outside the frame under the filelr neck...

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
sorry to whore but i'm gonna run into that here pretty soon and my truck is OBDI, are you saying it should be fine if i just remove it completely?

·
Registered
74 Posts
i got an 02 and i used heater hose to relocate my canister. i put on top of the gas tank, tached it to the side of the frame. looks sick, and sturdy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
AVTekk said:
Dont take it off, you dont need to. If it was an older truck pre-OBD-II Id say take it off..

You can easily move it anywhere, above the muffler is common ans well as in the spare tire area and outside the frame under the filelr neck...
im baging a 94 next weekend do you know if its obd ??? move it or take it off? will be going with a fuel cell..

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I jacked this pic off one of Avtheck's projects (red X on 20s). I really doubt the stock lines will be able to reach it from all the way back there. This takes the place of the back half of the stock shock tower. He cut that crossmember out.

Attachments

·
EX-Minitrucker
3,978 Posts
tbranscom said:
im baging a 94 next weekend do you know if its obd ??? move it or take it off? will be going with a fuel cell..

96+ is OBDII. I need to know also cause i have a 95 that i'm about to start working on.

·
Dime Dragger
438 Posts
Braind3ad said:
On top of the gas tank x-member, hmm, thanks drps10. Mine is a lot thinner than the one on the picture so it should work just fine. If not, then like lownineyfo said, I'll just put it off to the side. But I still want to make sure, would it go berserk if I mount this thing (what the piss is this called anyways?) sideways?
Thanks again...

the canister is called a charcol box... it filters the fumes inside the gas tank...(some one can correct me if im rong):monkeypee

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Yes OBD-II started in 96. In 96 they started putting vacuum actuators on the canister so when you unplug them, they turn the light on.

However before 96 there are no wires or sensors on the canister, just a lil vent. So the engine doesnt know the difference between can and no can. However the gas tank MAY build vacuum without the canister, just a heads up.

The name is AVTekk and 'Avtheck' is prolly about the worst way Ive seen it spelled. Ya behind the axle will reqquire things to be extended, but if you put it over the muffler you only have to change 1 line (sometimes none)..

Heres a shot of the can on the pewter S10 I just finished..

·
Registered
13,733 Posts
I don't mind ya usin pics from my gallery... not at all...

I didn't have to extend or shorten any lines... they are all stock lines where I put mine.

·
Oh, yea...
966 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Sorry about murdering your name Avtekk. So how would you secure it to the muffler heat shield? (that is a heat shield right?) Just blast some screws through it? I mean, I could improvise and wrap it in some thick ass safety wire, but I want something thats gonna hold, not to mention, be well done...

1 - 20 of 67 Posts