S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a friend of mine that I am on the same mailing list with. I told Him I would post his email with his questions. So could you please help him out. Thanks

""I have been doing a lot of looking for body shops so I could get the
Rally painted before bad weather sets in and makes the body worse.
I have found that body work and painting is expensive, thankfully I have
some experience in painting(not much) and think I can do it myself. I
was thinking of doing a custom paint job with a fade, scallops, or even
flames, but I just dont trust my pinstriping skills.
Anyway upon looking for the "perfect paint shop" with miracle prices
I saw a truck one of them was working on that had the most beautiful
paint job I have ever seen, so I was talking with the guy about how he
got the truck to change colors. I figuired he used multiple coats with
many shades of pearls mixed in here and there, and was really surprised
to find out that he just opened the paint, stirred it and sprayed.
Turned out he was the owner and not the painter and I couldnt ask any
technical questions.
Its called chromalusion made by dupont. I hope some of you have seen
this in person, its beautiful! So I thought cool, I will paint it with
this color, and wont have to do anything radical cause the paint is
"custom'" enough. But then, I got the price, almost 600 bux a
quart!!!!!!!
So I left with saying no more, but now that I think about it, I
could probably get some cheaper through some favors and good hook ups.
So my quesions are if any of you have worked with this paint? I
wonder if you have to use a special gun, or do any extra prep work.
Does is cover blemishes, like white paint, or multiply them like black
paint? Would one quart do it? I usually buy a gallon for a car and
have a lot left over, so I dont know how far I could stretch it.
If any one has some experience please let me know, I'm telling ya, its
the most amazing paint I have ever seen!""

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I have a buddy who does paint/body work and he refuses to paint any type of candy/pearl paint. He said it is much hard to get it even.

·
Treadwear Waste'n Member
133 Posts
well, I work in a body shop, and they say its easier (for a pro painter) to shoot than reg. pearl. Of course it depends on how good of a painter you are to start with.

as for dents.. basically they will look like **** because the pearl will look funny anywhere its not straight. Otherwise its like any pearl paintjob.

and you are going to need at least 3 quarts to paint anything.... what kinda car is it??

IMO, leave it to the pro's. Paint is way to easy to **** up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have worked in a dupont paint store for about a year and a half. This stuf is expensive> I am thinking about 1600 a gallon. It comes pre mixed form dupont and is like a 4 or 5 stage paint which means you have a couple of layers of color 2 layers of Peral or in this case chromaillusion and then clear.So IT is going to cost a lot more than 1600 because you have to buy the clear I think they sugeest the v7500 clear which is super productive and expensive. Then you need the base colors and primer sealer or what ever else you need. I say you would be lucky gettin out with 2700 in materials. If you ever wreck it it will need a complete repaint to look right. You will want the body to be perfect because it is expensive paint and most likely show through. You can get different color spectrums for the color change some changes form like green to purple and the other goes red to bronze and there is another that changes different colors. You can also use different base colors to get a more dramatic change they dont recommend going away from the system but people do it all the time. If you have painting experience you could do it but if this is your first job let someone else do it. Go to your local dupont store and they will help you i am for sure of that. It will put a smile on there face if they are making commission:bah: :bah: If you have any other questions just ask. Opps forgot to say that you could use nason clear and basecolor to save some cash

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a friend that has it on a 99 cav. z24. He likes it but hates it. It shows scratchs like black paint. and the bad thing is you can't touch it up like reg. paint. cause it has a pattern for the color to change the same color in that spot and if you touch it up it might be blue in one spot and purple in the middle. He went to a paint shop and they said they would have to paint the whole car again so it will change colors right. It's beatiful paint though. his turns from dark blue to purple. and if you want to paint your interior they make it in spray cans now. You can get the whole kit (paint, primer, and clear coat. for like 18 bucks from k-mart!

·
1-4-SHO
141 Posts
Hey guys, it is sweet. I went to Minitruxnats down in Piegon Forge this past July and seen it on a Black Tahoe. The guy had the color purpleen, which it changes from purple to green to like a bronze color. I decided that I would check in to this, so I am setting out to flame the front of my black XTREME in purpleen. As far as the price goes, this stuff is around $292.00 a pint!! Hope to post pics when I get it done sometime next spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an RX7 painted with what looks like Chromalusion Perfect Jade; it looks intense dark green in daylight, looks purple when the sun is at a low angle of attack.

Scratches/dings are a big nuisance as there is no touch up paint to match. The spray can paint available is a slightly different color, which can be ok for a mirror shroud or wheels or some unit of equipment because the color shifts so much, the slight difference on one place can look intentional or part of the scheme. My amateur touch up of a couple items with the spray cans looked very good in places, but got a little wrinkle uglyness where I apparently went too heavy and fast for the drying rate.

I thought the gold to silver shift would make a good accent color for the wheels and brake calipers, but it is marginal because the silver looks more like a slightly sick pail green. The gold looks good.

If you paint your car, your normal car insurance will not cover the $6K ? paint job, unless you buy a special rider. I'm not sure about someone hitting you, I think they would have to pay.

Cheap sources are hard to find. Occasionally the paint comes up on eBay in the right color, but the prices seem not to be great bargains.

There are other manufacturers of colorshift paint. The key technology started out in optics world, and I think is still owned by JDS uniphase. Among folk who at least used to market a version are Kameleon and Baer. You can also buy additives with the prism effect to put in any paint you want. It you pick a relatively opaque color, the prism effect does not work too well. I thought it would look great in yellow, but it turns out yellow reflects most of the light and not enough penetrates far enough to give back a good prism change.

It can be hard to find a painter who will shoot the stuff; someone with experience may be your best bet.

It isn't easy being green.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
this must be a record for oldest thread bump

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
but just to point a couple things out......color change paint is easy to shoot (for a pro).....it is no different than shooting a metallic......it is NOT a 4 or 5 stage paint....it is simply base/clear.......obviously sealer is mandatory.....then 3 coats of paint then clear...simple.....

every major manufacturer offers it with their paint line.....HOK,dupont,ppg,m-s,s-w...etc......it is still expensive as **** though

a painter that refuses to shoot pearls or candies is not a painter and has no chance in hell making it .....it is not hard to get even if you know how to spray.period!

·
"It was all a Dream"
2,930 Posts
expensive, expensive, expensive!!!!!!! No way to just touch up in case of any accident and if you (not blendable). If you do go this route make sure you are completely done with the paint end of your ride, cause 90% of the time you'll never get it to match again (unless you take notes?)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, it is expensive, but it covers REALLY well. First you lay down a black base and spray over that. I sprayed an 8" half sphere for a sign at work and used about a quarter ounce for two coats through an airbrush. I think I could have gotton away with using only one coat, but did two because I had 6 oz. we bought just for this project. I think it was about $260-280 for the 6oz. bottle. I used the PPG version, Harlequin. When it first came on the market, I was working at a paint supply store and the paint rep said it is very easy to touch up, although I haven't ever had a chance to try it. I personally think it's too much when applied as an overall color, but it looks sweet as a graphic or accent color.

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
as far as chromallusion,yes it is 100% blendable.....it blends out like any pearl basecoat.....no,it does not cover in 2 coats......anything shy of 3 coats gives a strobe effect on the sidetone

yes i agree that it should only be used as a graphic....it's too gawdy on completes

·
now XTREME
1,888 Posts
as far as chromallusion,yes it is 100% blendable.....it blends out like any pearl basecoat.....no,it does not cover in 2 coats......anything shy of 3 coats gives a strobe effect on the sidetone

yes i agree that it should only be used as a graphic....it's too gawdy on completes

ur right when i went to dupont school they advized that it should only be used for graphics,stripes, etc....

·
Heavy Metal Body Man
5,363 Posts
wow... you couldnt figure what to do with your very first post, so you decide to necropost a thread thats been buried for over 7 years?

its hard to fail as epicly as that.... you win the interwebs

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
Well, it is expensive, but it covers REALLY well. First you lay down a black base and spray over that. I sprayed an 8" half sphere for a sign at work and used about a quarter ounce for two coats through an airbrush. I think I could have gotton away with using only one coat, but did two because I had 6 oz. we bought just for this project. I think it was about $260-280 for the 6oz. bottle. I used the PPG version, Harlequin. When it first came on the market, I was working at a paint supply store and the paint rep said it is very easy to touch up, although I haven't ever had a chance to try it. I personally think it's too much when applied as an overall color, but it looks sweet as a graphic or accent color.
try different colored ground coats for different effects.....i found this out with absolute purpleen(it's been quite a few years).....over black you are familiar with the shifts from green to purple...by far the most beautiful with more shifts than any color change paint out there....but over silver(or grey) it is a very sublte change from pink to purple....perfect for graphics on a chicks car(perfect for ghost flames on the bosses daughters silver mustang as a graduation present))

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
try different colored ground coats for different effects.....i found this out with absolute purpleen(it's been quite a few years).....over black you are familiar with the shifts from green to purple...by far the most beautiful with more shifts than any color change paint out there....but over silver(or grey) it is a very sublte change from pink to purple....perfect for graphics on a chicks car(perfect for ghost flames on the bosses daughters silver mustang as a graduation present))
does that need an activator? i have about 1/3 of quart it and 1/2 quart of the other one green/gold or something like that dont remeber?

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
yeah...after you reduce it normally it requires an activator....it kinda helps it to crosslink like dx-57 with my ppg-dbc system......not 100% necessary IMO when doing graphics....i never did with graphics,only used it on the couple completes i did..it's been so long since i messed with that stuff

·
"It was all a Dream"
2,930 Posts

so its just like tri coat????????????

·
drunk and bored
31,626 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts