S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can u alter the MAF to add performance to a 4.3?

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a white 2002 4.3 Xtreme with flowmaster with no cat and a turn-down. bilstein shocks, hypertech pp. kn intake with box altered looking for more power to.

·
Registered
140 Posts
It can be ported, however if you have an auto, it will give false readings, and mess with the line pressure in the tranny. Just leave it alone.

·
pewter bullet
78 Posts
Yes, you can make adjustments with a MAF Translator. Check out ramchargers.com, beside that I would leave the center section of the maf housing in place. One other thing is to keep the inside of the maf as clean as possible. I saw your other posts, is your maf going to make it? Oil from air filters will clean off with some contact cleaner.

·
Registered
610 Posts
yea, i'd say leave that thign alone, everyone says if you gut it you will get more HP, but the computer will compensate for it at a later date, which just leaves you with a f**ked MAF!

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
removing the bar will totally **** ya over removing the screen just makes ya run not as good...im tryign to find a new MAF with a screen to replace mine and stop throwin rich codes

·
Registered
142 Posts
removing the bar makes the engine run leaner so it depens on you engine if it is helpfull or not. It is leaner since the maf has a bigger opening with the bar removed so the speed of the air slows down which tells the computer that the engine is getting less air this mod works good on lt-1 trans-ams which are running rich from the factory but out trucks are already on the lean side so the mod would prob hurt ya and possibley over lean out the engine causing damange

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
ummm....sshotrods lost .3 off the 1/4mi gutting the MAF and i get codes of running rich in 2 cylinders without a screen on my MAF

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
the speed of air wouldnt slow down because the opening is bigger...more air goes thru, maintaing the original flow velocity, id think.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Nope- there is less velocity through there.

Think, what if it was 1" big with the same air volume going through..... it would have to move faster :)

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
yeah, if the intake isnt restricted by the MAF itself. if it was, and removing the bar, or descreening it, would allow more air to flow thru at a lower velocity, this giving the same CFM of flow (i think?).

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
same amount of air, lower velocity, less restriction- pistons will for the most part pull the same air at 2k rpm with the maf or without- just less restriction!

·
Grrr
1,575 Posts
this has been tested 100 times and proven that playing with ur maf only hurts hp. YES if your maf served no purpose other than to restrict air coming in, then a bigger maf would make more hp, letting in more air. This is not the case. The maf meters the air. You modify it and you throw off every calculation the computer makes off of its readings. You can dump all of the air you want into a motor, if the a/f ratios are wrong, its not going to help you. Ask the supercharged guys.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
All that they are telling you is correct. The reason for these aftermarkets is to tell the PCM you have a power air flow than there really is. If you make enough horsepower over stock and need larger injectors, then with the larger injectors pulsing at the lower rate, but more fuel since the injector are larger , the tune is corrected. Also the advantage then becomes the MAF will not limit in its reading as soon on a higher h.p. motor. MAF's are a waste if no tuning is done with them.

Another overlooked aspect which you must think of. Your toying with a MAF that you think maybe a restriction, correct?? You know the MAF port is the same exact size as the throttle body. SO you add a larger or ported one, now what are you gonna do with the next restriction that youve made???

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
Liftedbronco said:
this has been tested 100 times and proven that playing with ur maf only hurts hp. YES if your maf served no purpose other than to restrict air coming in, then a bigger maf would make more hp, letting in more air. This is not the case. The maf meters the air. You modify it and you throw off every calculation the computer makes off of its readings. You can dump all of the air you want into a motor, if the a/f ratios are wrong, its not going to help you. Ask the supercharged guys.

Yeah..dont modify it..I agree- What little unmeasureable restriction there is really has no effect. Think how little restriction there is from that screen- and then the size of the cylinders you are feeding...you arent affecting drag much.

The only way you get "more" air in these engines though is through only these ways- (not counting small leak-by on the rings)

-Pressurize the air
-Cool the air (intercoolers)
-Oversize the cylinder bores
-Increase stroke

Thats it I think- all other mods...intake, exhaust..let it breathe *easier* and the power comes from the engine not working so hard to push and pull air. 'Dem are facts.:bugeye:

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
wht02x said:
Can u alter the MAF to add performance to a 4.3?

Really- Just look elsewhere to get a performance gain.

If youre absolutely broke but want to mod something.. try a Bored-on-a-saturday-Mainer trick- take your muffler off and shoot holes in it with your hunting rifle- clamp back in place OR sell on Ebay as a flowmaster ".308" series :boom:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts