S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

Just bought a 2000 s-10 with a v-6. Love it a lot and want to do a lot to it. Its pretty slow so performance is the first thing we need to modify!! I was surfing around the web trying real hard to find some how-to's on hopping up V-6's. However, I havent really found as much as I thought I would. Now I am wondering if I need to swap my motor out with a Buick GNX motor.... I know I need to move the rear into posi and the trans needs some work I am sure!!! shifts real fast now. So I figure who best to help with these questions then other S-10 owners. So any info you good folks can point me to would be great!

Thanks,
Steve

PS
Happy New Year

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
Is it auto, sounds it? What type of performance are you looking for? For starters, get an intake, shave that throttlebody, egr mod, exhaust, muffler, headers, a chip and then go from there....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yup.... auto.... You mentioned something about the EGR valve? I'm not sure of what changes you could make to it?? Dont mean to sound like a total nit-wit, but... could you shed a little more light?

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
You can get an egr restrictor fitting that screws into the intake manifold where the egr tube goes, it limits the egr gases by like 75% giving a little power and noticeably cooler running temps, I have seen 10 degree cooler temps with it.

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
is money a restriction?

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
kevincolin said:
is money a restriction?
Can't be too much of a restriction if he was wanting to know if he should just swap out the 4.3 for a 3.8 sfi turbo gn motor!

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
:lol: good point!

·
dubdS10
1,275 Posts
The 4.3 isn't slow unless there's something wrong with it. Or if you're comparing it to a 13 second vehicle which it seems as though you're doing..lol They are 15-16 sec trucks with the 4.3 Vortech, so it's a good match vs most cars it seems, but I hope your not trying to race vets, camaros and so on. If you want HiPo throw a S/C on it..after rebuilding it completely and boring it out and so on. It'll be really fast then but it'll probably end up costing around $7000 or so consider the S/C itself will be more than half of that cost. Or you could always go find a wrecked Camaro or Vet (newer) and take their whole drivetrain and swap it.

Not really sure what you're looking for out of the truck..some more ideas or info would be helpful.

Nate

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well.... I really was thinking that GNX's where more like in the 14's but never the less, I just sold my 350z which is also a six banger and they push around 290 hp with out mods. My truck is slow, however their are some very good reasons:
1) it has an open end rear
2) Its an Automatic that feels like it was set up for economy
3) It has 60K on it and I am sure could use a little loving care to get back fully on its own feet.

Now as far money, it’s always tight… The engine swap comment was not very far fetched for me. I work in the Motor Cycle industry and a new 107 Cubic inch motor goes for about 7 Grand! For those that don’t know it’s a 2 cylinder, air-cooled motor that can found on American bikes that produces about 105 HP. So to put a car engine in my truck for under 10K doesn’t seem like a big leap. Its simply “perspective”. I would much rather know if I can get that performance by doing “mods” or if I wasting money on bolt-ons. Another words can I put “x”K into a motor that I presently have and get the performance out of the motor compared to buying a motor that is known to perform well for essentially the same cost???

Did that make sense???

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
opps.... I guess the bottom line if I could be in the low 14's I would think that would be pretty respectable.....

Thanks

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
low 14's is easy. got a few G's ? see my sig, not many mods there.

·
www.myspace.com/MINTSICK
4,532 Posts
for not much money 14's will be easy. With all of the common mods that i listed, if you hook up, a high 14-low 15 is accessable. Now if you went a little deeper into it, say, a cam, rockers, lifers, e-fan ontop of the previous ones, i'd say you got yourself a 14 second truck, now do all those mods and a high psi boosted s/c, you'd be seeing 12's, might need a little engine work so it can handle the power, but i think i'm fairly correct with my mods-times...

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
you can buy an ls1 for 5k but that jsut the engine...after replacing the drive train the radiator all that good stuff itll be like 8k i'd guess but well worth it. if you have about 5-6k to use i would buy a turbocharger. but for about 1k-2k you could redo the entire exhaust system(i.e. intake, headers, cat back, cat, after cat, muffler, exit) that should give ou some pretty good gains.

·
GMtruckHQ
2,894 Posts
swap a syclone engine in...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great info guys!! Thanks a lot! do guys use a prefered vendor? I alos noticed in the Sig of JESS he has a "PowerStroke FMIC @14 psi" listed, What is that???? I had a powerstroke but that a Diesel.... (heheheh) I also noticed reading in a few different posts most folks are going with a "cat" system Does this offer something more then "Flowmasters" would offer???

Again thanks for all this info!

·
Registered
742 Posts
If you don't want to do a swap why not just get the Mach turbo kit. That will easily put you into the 13s with just his 8lb kit. If I am not mistaken it costs about $5500 for the complete kit. If you go the blower forum, there is a post there with hp and track times on his xtreme blazer.

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
roadkinghozz said:
I alos noticed in the Sig of JESS he has a "PowerStroke FMIC @14 psi" listed, What is that???? I had a powerstroke but that a Diesel....

was your powerstroke intercooled ? i have a new & modified powerstroke intercooler mounted where the a/c evaporater used to be = inside the core support.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes it was. It was a great truck!!! F-350 4-door super duty, 4x4 but... my wife I moved back to civilization so I sold it.

·
Peanuts Performance
117 Posts
Speaking of turbos. My bro has a Duramax and it screams. It now is pushing 32psi. He just got the Six Shooter and Speed Loader from Banks Performance and it bumped the truck from about 250hp and 460lb ft stock and now has about 340hp and 845lb ft. It can easily now do about 14's. I am completely jealous of him. I was the first one to drive it after the install and it scared me because its a huge truck and its fast as hell.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts