S-10 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a 6.2l chevy diesel motor for next to nothing from a friend.

Its out of an 85 chevy blazer

I was thinking about trying to drop it in my s10, Im mainly wondering...

Can I put it in my 91 s10?!?

I realize that there would have to be some mods done to the fuel delivery system and maybe a different transmission?

I really dont know a whole lot about diesels and havent found much info on here regarding this specific topic.

Im going to do some more research outside this site throughout the winter, and if I ever attempt it ill be sure to start a project thread on it, Just some curiosity twords what I would actually be looking at.

·
I Don't Fear DEATH
17,753 Posts
how much was the blazer modified if any to fit the motor to begin with? Other then that i dont see why not if you take your time and make sure everything is done right.

·
Registered
207 Posts
how much was the blazer modified if any to fit the motor to begin with? Other then that i dont see why not if you take your time and make sure everything is done right.
The front end will have to be beefed up for the extra weight. The 6.2 is about 1200lbs. I am looking at a 5 cyl. diesel for my 98. It will be fun. The 85 was a full size. It had plenty of room. It came from GM like that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To what extent do you mean beefed up?

Im thinking if i do this I am going to stick a 4 inch lift kit on it at the same time.

I dunno, more research to do, would be a pretty sick truck when I'm done though.

·
when in doubt lay it out
3,463 Posts
To what extent do you mean beefed up?

As in strengthen the frame.

And a 4'' lift after the added wait of that motor will keep it back at stock height probably.:haha:

Good luck and post lots of pics!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth honestly, and, diesels from that era are junk compared to what's been around since the late 90's. Like replacing a small turd with a big massive one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I think it'd be more trouble than it's worth honestly, and, diesels from that era are junk compared to what's been around since the late 90's. Like replacing a small turd with a big massive one.
The 6.2 is a Detroit engine, not bad, but not good either. I wouldn't have a Detroit myself. I had 1 for a month in a 87 K1500. Sold it and got a 88 F250 with a 7.3l IH. I wood rather have a Cat. You realy need 3/4 ton suspension for the 6.2l diesel. Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided to go with the 4bt cummings instead, its pricey but seems like the only smart thing to put in it, 25mpg when im done with it with no HP loss and big torque gains..

Now I just gotta find the 2 grand to get the parts, and sell this 6.2.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
My dad has a little 3-cylinder Detroit on his Boom truck. Its pretty much a tractor motor. Wonder what it'd do in a S-10...

·
Boosted S Dime
91 Posts
talk to diesels10 on here, he can be found posting in the lifted section. he has a duramax swap in his. Im sure he could help you out with diesel swaps. Hes helped me out some with my intercooler and such.
Im doing a 3.9l 4bt cummins swap in mine currently. Should be done here soon.

·
Registered Hoosier
4,774 Posts
The 6.2 uses the same bell housing as 4.3/smallblock also motor mounts will bolt up with v8. would be harder than a v8 gas conversion, but easier than something non gm

·
Spark Plugs Are Overrated
6,129 Posts
Yes it can be done and yes it's a pain. The 6.2 is heavy at around 800lbs which is very similar to what the 4bt weighs, either engine probably won't get along with your IFS very long. I would suggest a SAS, especially since you mentioned lifting anyway.

A friend of mine has a '96 with a 4bt, but it has one ton axles front and rear. Even with the SFA it can't set very low due to the height of the "little" 4 banger. Here is a link to his truck: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/a-buddies-96-a-424692/

Here is a link to what I had to do to get the 6.5 Turbo into mine:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/its-alive-340611/index3.html#post5439321

·
WWW.CAROLINATRUCKSCENE.
2,158 Posts
Yes it can be done and yes it's a pain. The 6.2 is heavy at around 800lbs which is very similar to what the 4bt weighs, either engine probably won't get along with your IFS very long. I would suggest a SAS, especially since you mentioned lifting anyway.

A friend of mine has a '96 with a 4bt, but it has one ton axles front and rear. Even with the SFA it can't set very low due to the height of the "little" 4 banger. Here is a link to his truck: http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/a-buddies-96-a-424692/

Here is a link to what I had to do to get the 6.5 Turbo into mine:
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f221/its-alive-340611/index3.html#post5439321
I wet my pants last time I visited his build thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts