S-10 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
99 Sonoma ZQ8 reg. cab 4.3 a/t
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this on fb market place local. It says its from a 99 blazer. Im trying to put it on my 99 sonoma so i have disk brakes. Does anyone know what rear end this is just by looking at it?
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wood Vehicle Road surface Concrete Metal

· Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
2,648 Posts
Maybe OK, but it looks like the pinion seal definitely needs R&R. If it's been leaking a good while, and the fluid is low, it may have starved the pinion bearing for lubricant. I can't determine that from here, but it's worth investigating and considering.
Edit: corrected "staved" to starved.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Maybe OK, but it looks like the pinion seal definitely needs R&R. If it's been leaking a good while, and the fluid is low, it may have staved the pinion bearing for lubricant. I can't determine that from here, but it's worth investigating and considering.
thank ya for your input!

· Premium Member
2,949 Posts
75.00 is an awesome price.
As stated above it does need a pinion seal and most likely axle seals. Did you see if it has a GOV LOC inside? All of my Blazers had it maybe just luck...
I would pay that for just the disc brake hardware and the swaybar. If it was my choice the brakes would be cleaned and repainted along with the swaybar and be on my truck the very next day 🙂 with new fabricated swaybar mounts that attach to the frame😉 And if it does have a GOV LOC in it pull it out and reinstall it into the truck.

· Been there Done it
16,775 Posts
Judging from the amount of rust I'd strongly recommend new calipers. Those rear disc caliper like to stop working if they're rusty and sit for even a short period. If they're sticking they'll ruin the rotors real fast. I've had to replace the calipers on every one of my rear disc 98+ S10's. You'll also need to open the cover and find the gear ratio stamped on the ring gear to be sure it's the same gear ratio as your old one or your speedo will be off and your ABS will stop working. There are work arounds, but it'll cost you about $100 to cure the issue and your truck will drive a bit different. If it's higher numerically gearing you'll feel peppier at the cost of a couple MPG. If it's lower you'll feel slower, but might see a slight MPG improvement.
Blazer bump stops and pickup ones are different. I had to remove them when I put a Blazer rear in my 99 pickup. Also measure the axles overall width to be sure it's the same because 2wd and 4wd are a different width and require different offset wheels.
2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63"
measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.
The Blazer springs won't work on a pickup. Different length and center bolt location. 95 and earlier were all the same. Not so with 2nd gen SUV's.
The only thing that never changed was the distance from one leaf spring horizontally to the other. Besides you'll want to keep your original springs to keep the same ride characteristics. Blazer Springs generally were stiffer because of the extra weight toward the rear of the vehicle. If they did fit I'd think your rear would feel bouncy on any kind of bumps with Blazer springs.

· Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Judging from the amount of rust I'd strongly recommend new calipers. Those rear disc caliper like to stop working if they're rusty and sit for even a short period. If they're sticking they'll ruin the rotors real fast. I've had to replace the calipers on every one of my rear disc 98+ S10's. You'll also need to open the cover and find the gear ratio stamped on the ring gear to be sure it's the same gear ratio as your old one or your speedo will be off and your ABS will stop working. There are work arounds, but it'll cost you about $100 to cure the issue and your truck will drive a bit different. If it's higher numerically gearing you'll feel peppier at the cost of a couple MPG. If it's lower you'll feel slower, but might see a slight MPG improvement.
Blazer bump stops and pickup ones are different. I had to remove them when I put a Blazer rear in my 99 pickup. Also measure the axles overall width to be sure it's the same because 2wd and 4wd are a different width and require different offset wheels.
2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63"
measured from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface.
The Blazer springs won't work on a pickup. Different length and center bolt location. 95 and earlier were all the same. Not so with 2nd gen SUV's.
The only thing that never changed was the distance from one leaf spring horizontally to the other. Besides you'll want to keep your original springs to keep the same ride characteristics. Blazer Springs generally were stiffer because of the extra weight toward the rear of the vehicle. If they did fit I'd think your rear would feel bouncy on any kind of bumps with Blazer springs.
I appreciate all the info. They are both GU6 rear-ends which iirc is 3.42 and yea i planned on replacing most of the parts on it. i just wanted the rear disks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts