S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
V8ing the Dime
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1990 that I am puttin a 350 tbi in can I use a belt driven fan like a flex-a-lite without a clutch or do I have to use and E-fan?? And if I have to use an efan which kind would work the best "the taurus 3.8"? Using a 4.3 HD radiator.

·
stuck static
2,440 Posts
ive got a flex fan on mine with no issues so far.

·
V8ing the Dime
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys I am tradin 2 4.3 blocks I have for a good electric fan with thermostat.

·
Vandelay Industries
6,017 Posts
and yes a belt driven fan will work, you just have to move the motor closer to the firewall than you would if you were running e-fans. Ive had a clutch fan on mine and now ive switched over to a flexalite fan (the traditional shape fan not the triangular blade kind like above pictured)

·
3,878 Posts
In my 86 Blazer with a 5.0 TBI, I originally used a flexalite 1518 with a shroud. I had the fan spaced properly to have the blades about half way into the shroud.

It was OK in Dallas summer heat until I had to stop. The temp went up pretty quickly at idle with the A/C on.

I was using a new Vette radiator, a 180 degree thermostat, 50/50 mix and a bottle of water wetter.

I quickly removed it and replaced it with a flexalite 210 dual puller fan setup. Used a 183 degree switch installed in the block. Had the fans wired for direct 13.5+V from the back of the alternator, through a couple of HD relays.

Never had a problem after that.

·
V8ing the Dime
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got 2 Taurus 3.8 fans for the 2 blocks. I bought both blocks for $75 so I think I did alright. And one more question can a Taurus fan be used as a pusher?? I wired one up backwards to see if it would run and it will but is it safe to do with these fans??

·
Registered
809 Posts
im using a belted fan, and i got tuns of room(but i did modify the rad support to set the rad into the support so its flush), i now have to add the biggest spacer i could find(i think about a 4") to make it closer to the rad, im thinkin of takin the spacer out,moving the fan back, and puttin a electric fan on the rad as a puller.aswell as the belt drivin one on the motor runnin behind it..

this is with a about a 1- 1 1/4" spacer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts