S-10 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i shift at 5000rpms and i wonder what will happen if i change the shift points to 5500rpms except for making more boost. Will i be hurting the engine by shifting that high? Will i be making any power or losing power? I know the faster the engine turns the more boost you make so im just wondering if it will help.

·
Registered
160 Posts
yes you can, but on mine when I had the reflash done at mach, my 2-3 shift was too high. I would hit almost 9-10 psi sometimes, but the engine was past its ability to push any harder. The trans uses not only rpm, but mph--my engine was trying for that extra 2 mph or whatever, but couldnt do it in an acceptable amount of time. I used the HPP3 (even though my 'puter is re-flashed) to bring the 2-3 shift down 2 mph. Now it is fine. I dont see the 9 psi anymore, but I think it was useless because the engine couldnt do anything at such a high RPM (I think it was going just past 5600)

later

·
Blown ex ***
5,710 Posts
i run the "improved" shift points on mine. if it makes a difference i don't know. there is no place around here that i know of to do good testing. hell, can't even test much at the track, it gets so freakin crowded that a few runs is all you get. can't test much of anything in a few runs. and we all know SOTP's doesn't tell the whole story.

the engine probably makes more power at 5000 than at 5500. and more torque at 3500-4000. so i think shifting at 5000 would be better(unless you have heads/cam). so i think i'm going to change mine back to stock

·
Vortech power not Vtec!
957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mkm said:
yes you can, but on mine when I had the reflash done at mach, my 2-3 shift was too high. I would hit almost 9-10 psi sometimes, but the engine was past its ability to push any harder. The trans uses not only rpm, but mph--my engine was trying for that extra 2 mph or whatever, but couldnt do it in an acceptable amount of time. I used the HPP3 (even though my 'puter is re-flashed) to bring the 2-3 shift down 2 mph. Now it is fine. I dont see the 9 psi anymore, but I think it was useless because the engine couldnt do anything at such a high RPM (I think it was going just past 5600)

later
Hey MKM, i noticed you havent ran with your new y-pipe and cat mod. When i did the exact same mod when i had my powerdyne it knocked off .4 tenths. Soo 15.0-.4= 14.6ET <--That will be your new ET. :) Congrads, you made it in the 14's!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I hope so, I'm planning on going this wednesday as long as the weather holds out. I'm also going to play with the FMU a little at the track. I'm gonna watch my gauges and run leaner/richer and see what it responds to better (without running too lean). Since its gotten a little cooler here (not much), I've been chirping tires when it shifts into second, something it never did before my exhaust mods.. hopefully it shows at the track!

later

1 - 5 of 5 Posts