S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....I know those of you that have a K&N intake will say it is the best and those of you with an Airaid will say it's the best. Most of the ppl on mys10.com agree on Airaid while most here think K&N is the better of the two. All I want is an unbiased opinion. I know with the Airaid I can get the TBI without it rubbing against the hood whereas the K&N I can't get it at all. Which is the better route. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Blazer Xtreme Member
77 Posts
Get a VOLANT intake. Theyre 169 bucks, and they com with a cool filter. For a couple more bucks you can get one with a cold-air box.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
get the volant, i have the premium air box, as good as k&n or airaid , but if you get it think about making a custom intake tube out of the honda civic intake tube they sell at auto zone, it looks sweet, and performs awesome, also if you can, on either intake you get, enlarge the air hole that feeds behind the head lights a little so it breathes fresh air easier

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Unbiased: Both arent worth the money ,really. I had a drop in, then gutted the box, now a K&N. While I like the K&N Gen2, IMO, get a drain pipe piece and attach it to a cone K&N. For the money, neither is that great or any for that fact.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to have an AIRAID and I liked it. Now I have the Volant with the airbox since I got my supercharger so I draw in outside air. If you have a 96-97 I highly recommend the Volant with the box since you can take out your driver's side headlight for ram air if you go to the track. I don't know if that works the same on the 98+.

If the 98+ don't benefit from the airbox Volant offers, 964pt3 is correct. No aftermarket tube with a K&N cone filter is going to give you enough extra HP to justify the cost difference compared to a home made one with the same K&N filter. I've seen some really nice looking home built intakes out there.

·
A Constant Work in Progress
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone know of a site to get that volant intake.....thanx in advance.....

·
Oops...Dropped it
204 Posts
Unbias

OK, The K&N Kit is good. Airaid is good for looks but because it has a metal tube, the incomming air gets heated up. So it kind of defeats the purpose of a cold air intake. I don't really know much about the volant. In any case, none of the kits are worth the money. Not when it's so easy to build your own. What you should do is buy the cone filter from whoever you like the best, then just build your air box and intake tube yourself. That's what I'm doing. Saved me $200. More money that can be used for other mods! So, if you want it for looks, Airaid is pretty good looking. If you want it for Performance, K&N. Or if you want to save some cash and still get the same end result, Buy the cone and build the rest yourself. Good Luck. Later.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
im all about Tony's cone filter. I put one on and its worked great ever since. Guys in town with the Gen II's and Airaids arent any faster, just broke. Be sure to make some kind of shroud so you dont screw up your cone filter tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts