S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 Sonoma SLS, Nice but basic, standard cab, 2.2 & standard transmission. It's my commuter and mine, not the wife's, not the kids, not the grandkids, mine. You know what I mean. It has 17K miles on it. Since it turned cold, I've noticed when I shift from first to second, it sometimes grinds, like I don't have the clutch in all the way. It only happens in this combination, not when I downshift or upshift to other gears. Only first to second, and only when the truck is moving. And, after the truck is thoroughly warmed, it operates OK. Also, if I'm sitting still, it's as smooth as silk. It's been into the shop, where it is now, three times. The dealer has replaced the shift bucket (?), checked the linkage and fluids. They are keeping it over night in hopes that it will be cold enough tomorrow so they can replicate the problem. By the time I drive there, it's warmed up and is fine. Does anyone have any ideas? The dealership has mentioned they may have to replace the transmission, which is OK, it's under warranty. But, I'm curious if anyone ever heard of a manual transmission going "bad?"

·
Registered
444 Posts
When my truck was new in 99 it was tough to get into second when it was cold but I never had any grinding. Even now when it's cold I don't have any problems. I guess mine just needed to be broken in. In your case it may just be broken.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Well I was going to post a similar question about this. Mine seems difficult from 1st to 2nd when cold but it doesn't grind. You have to have the clutch to the floor to get it to shift right. Let me know what happens with yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's what the dealer did today.

First, they drove the truck and experienced the same shift problems I mentioned in the original post. Then they replaced the grease in the transmission and added "conditioner," what ever that is. The tech said he thinks the synchronizer isn't working properly and to give this grease and "conditioner" a couple of weeks and see if the problem goes away. If not, at least it's documented, and the next time they'll have to "go in the transmission." I'll keep you posted. CWO4

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
i have the 2nd third upshift problem.. and it is just how the tranny shifts mainly... the s-10 has a real tight clutch and therfore shifts arent as easy as say a camaro or a ricer would be... and ive had that problem on every s-10 not necessarily that combo but some upshift its the clutch is what it boils down to

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have had the same problem and have had it checked twice. they still say nothing is wrong with it and can't find or replicate the problem. I guess i bring up what was wrong with yours next time i go in. If you find anything else out e-mail or post a reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been two weeks

And no change. Come Monday....Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's to the shop we go. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hard shifts

Mine is hard to shift when its cold and gets smoother when it warms up. the grind sounds like a knicked gear in the tranny but it would continue even if warm. Don't know solution but hope everything works out.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Re: It's been two weeks

cwo4 said:
And no change. Come Monday....Hi Ho, Hi Ho, it's to the shop we go. I'll keep you posted.
Do yours have a noise when it's running and in nuetral? They are trying to figure our what is wrong with mine too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
noise

ive listened and it doesnt make any noise. hope you find out whats wrong. let me know

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Remember the Warner Brothers Cartoon

about the frog who quit singing whenever someone was around? I took the truck to the dealership this morning. Temp was high 40's. It did its grinding noise 2 of the 5 shifts from first to second on the way there. I arrived 30 minutes before they opened at 7. I waited until all the other customers had checked in. It's now almost 7:30, an hour to cool down. The service manager and I go for a drive. He drives, nothing happens. I drive, nothing happens. He says again, we cant replicate it. The service guy and the tech who noticed it before are extremely quiet. The service manager says just drive it. If it breaks, it's under warranty. I drive off the lot, come to the first red light. When the light turns green, it grinds again. The truck is possessed and is laughing at me. I'll drive it and keep you posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
tranny

go with the old saying if you cant find im grind im.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Any update on this guys? Mine is still doing it and the dealer still can't find anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's still grinding when I first drive it and then it's fine after it warms up. The dealership says it is "normal." They've offered an extended warranty on the transmission, so that's where we stand at the moment. Let me know if you get anywhere with your dealership.

·
01 Bagged Truck 4 Sale
265 Posts
I would be careful because i have had the same problems with my new truck 2001 S10 5 spd 4.3 V6 and they voided my warrenty because they said it was abuse. I had them replace 3 gear twice , 2 gear twice, and 3,4 fork, and 5/R fork. I have been fighting for them to fix it and I will let you know after this monday the 25, when i go and talk to the Head GM warrenty guy.

THis is what i want to do the GM Shop Guys:bash: :madfinger

·
Registered
141 Posts
Pewter01
my 2000 2.2 makes the same sound in neutral but goes away when i push in the clutch and have brought it back twice and it still makes the same sound. Any ideas on what it could be or did i buy a lemon?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
badazz_extreme said:
Pewter01
my 2000 2.2 makes the same sound in neutral but goes away when i push in the clutch and have brought it back twice and it still makes the same sound. Any ideas on what it could be or did i buy a lemon?
Nah, I've heard a couple other guys complain about it. The dealers just can't find the problem.

·
littleX10
70 Posts
Brayden they can't void your warranty inless they can prove you have a 4.3 V6. And are younger than 60. Otherwise your just having fun burning rubber and kicking everything except V8 equipped cars and trucks around!

·
01 Bagged Truck 4 Sale
265 Posts
Well they did void it but i got it back from fighting with them but it cost me 700$ for the parts to be replaced i had to replace 1/2 fork 5/R fork and 1/2 syncronizer. and had to get my Flywheel machined. and buy a new stock shifter cause I broke the stock one driving.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts