·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
what type of camshaft would be best for a 94 s10 5 speed with a 4.3?:confused:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Not enough info. The camshaft best for your engine is completly dependant upon the rest of the engine. What else do you have done? Plan to do? Port/polish? Pistons/Rods? Headers? If you have Desktop Dyno I can give you a few #s for startes.

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at the moment, i plan to put headers on with 3 inch straight pipes to a 40 series flowmater, 3 piece underdrive pulleys, ram air hood, throttle body spacer. is there something else that i should do to it to get more out of it?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Call Comp Cams and ask.

They will probably recommend cam p/n 56-450-8 to you. It has .500 lift on intake and exhaust with 1.5 ratio rockers, duration @ .006 tappet lift of 266 intake/270 exhaust, lobe seperation angle of 112.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Heh...when I called comp...they told me that they dont make anything for the 96+ S-10's...****ers....they are obviously morons...

·
Registered
473 Posts
cam

Comp told me the same thing when I called them, nothing.

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Cam Specs

Does anybody know the specs on the stock cam? dur? event times opening and closing in deg? C/L. All the stuff a cam card
would have on it.

·
Mud Dummy
46 Posts
TBI or CPI?
OEM TBI
GM roller camshaft # 14093686 (same specs as LB1)
Duration at lash point: intake 280, exhust 282
Duration at .010" tappet lift: intake 224, exhust 238
Duration at .050" from base circle: intake 178, exhust 194
Timing Open Close
Intake 28 degree BTC 72 degree ABC
Exhust 61 degree BBC 41 degree ATC
Maximum lift with 1.5 rockers: intake .350", exhust .385"
Intake centerline from TDC: 108 ATDC
Overlap: 71 degree at zero tappet lift, 13 degree at .010" tappet lift

OEM CPI

Valve Lift - Intake.433/Exhaust.441
[email protected] - Intake 206 deg/Exhaust 207 deg
Lobe centers - Intake 121 ATDC/Intake 115 BTDC
Lobe separation angle 118 degrees

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do u know if its tbi or cpi?

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
of these what would be the best
206-210 @.50 - 500/500 lift - 112 lobe sep.
210-215 @.50 - 500/500 lift - 112 lobe sep.
215-220 @.50 - 500/500 lift - 112 lobe sep.

·
Mud Dummy
46 Posts
TBI Looks like a carb CPI Spider humping your engine

As far as which is better there is a lot of variables that you need to take into consideration manual or auto, what gear ratio. what intended use is etc... the longer duration is going to more than likely need a custom eprom.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
whoa hey guys

the guys at comp know their stuff. I have been to Comp in Memphis and i personally met three of the techs, and they know whats goin on. If they say they dont have anything, they must not. They might not have something yet that will work well with the computer. How long ago did you call? They are always coming up with new stuff. I'll look in my Comp book at work on Monday and let you know if there is anything new. But they really do know about cams guys!!! Remember, Vortec is A LOT different than reg TBI or even other injection styles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's odd.

According to the extensive 2000 Comp catalog they offer 6 cams for the '92-present for the 4.3 with balance shaft. 3 for non-computer controlled and 3 for computer controlled.
The last 3 are P/Ns:
56-440-8
56-450-8
56-460-8
The only footnote is that you will have to change to an adjustable valvetrain. That means having adjustable rocker arms.

·
Say lowered d
1,349 Posts
i dont have the 4.3 anymore

so i'm not a 4.3 know anything, but does a "Z" have a balance shaft or is it just "W's"?:confused:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I believe...

starting in '92 that all have the balance shaft

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Re: That's odd.

blueskyjack said:
According to the extensive 2000 Comp catalog they offer 6 cams for the '92-present for the 4.3 with balance shaft. 3 for non-computer controlled and 3 for computer controlled.
The last 3 are P/Ns:
56-440-8
56-450-8
56-460-8
The only footnote is that you will have to change to an adjustable valvetrain. That means having adjustable rocker arms.
I know that they have them. I just found it funny that their phone techs dont know what they are talking about.

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im kinda still confused about this i hope my friends and mechs can help me. camshafts are like the one thing that make no sense to me:twak: :stickpoke :troutslap :bash: :idea:

·
Registered
473 Posts
camshaft

Im gonna have to agree again, not to be a prick. I was looking at the newest comp cam catalog when I called them with some questions and they said they didnt have anything for the newer trucks. Not trying to say anything bad about the products they just dont have good phone tecs like ZQ8 said. Just make sure you get a few opinions from other companies and pick the stories that are the same.

·
4,755 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts