S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please fill me in on what these things do? I want to get EVERY little drop of horsepower out of my tuck. What other things are there besides cold air intake and throttle body spacer, supercharger, and nos?

·
T/A drivin foundin member
538 Posts
well you would only get one cam, thats the rod that controls when the valves open and shut. an aftermarket one will yeild more power than stock if matched to other componets.

pullies, these underdrive, or slow down accesories. by putting a bigger pulley, it will make less rotations than a smaller one, this can free up a few horses also.

I would reccomend getting an exhaust system an intake, then if you still want to put money in for more power, I.E. cam, roller rockers, timing gear, porting + polishing

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pullies are an...

easy bolt-on. A cam involves possibly having to pull your engine to install depending on your model. On most 2wd models the oil pan can't be removed to get the timing cover on and off correctly unless you pull the engine up to clear the front crossmember. Changing the cam also requires replacing at least the valve springs. You can reuse your lifters if in good condition, but most companies won't warranty a cam unless you install new lifters with it. You have to pull your valve covers to remove pushrods and the intake manifold to be able to get to the lifters. It's not a job for a novice. Oh, and you would also need a new timing cover since the newer ones aren't re-useable. A cam is eaiser/less expensive to upgrade when you're rebuilding the whole engine. IMHO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually the pulley on the crank will be smaller, thus the outer edge of the pulley will be spinning at a slower speed. The crank pulley alway turns at the same speed no matter what size pully is on it, so a smaller one will make the accessories spin slower b/c the belt will not travel as far of a distance with every revolution of the crank pulley.

March makes a kit with a crank pulley and an alternator pully. The alternator pully is smaller than the stock one, but casues it to actually spin faster. This is b/c the alt pulley is dependant upon the crank pully. Since the alt. pulley is smaller, the distance the belt has to travel for one revloution of the alt pulley is less, and can spin it more times than a larger pulley on the alt.

You want the alt pulley to psin fastyer b/c the smaller crank pulley will slow it down and you won't get the required voltage for your electrical system.

The March set is #4460 and runs about $85-$90 from summit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts