S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would a mild size cam cost, for a 01 vortech?
also how much could one look at for having it installed?
when buying a cam what else do i need to look into buying at the same time?

·
Nitto1320 M O D
1,612 Posts
Comp cams makes cams for the newer 4.3

You will most likely have to machine the heads a little for clearence... Goto Comp Cams website for pricing and machining info.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
I spent around 800 in parts when i did mine. This is what i got:
cam
springs
retainers
locks
valve seals
tools to machine heads
gaskets

For part numbers go to the compcams website, or crane cams website. Anything more than .470" of lift requires head machining.

If you have high mileage you might also consider lifters

I would guess that it would cost around 800-1000 to have it installed in addition to the parts cost. If you had a cam ground for less lift so that you don't have to have the heads machined, then it would probably be less.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i only have 34xxx miles. if all goes well i might be getting $400 and i didnt know how much all of that would cost. id love to try to do it on my own, my grandfather is huge into cars so hed help. but if its sitll gonna be that much i will be thinking against it. what are your guys cam rated for in hp and tq?

·
Registered
297 Posts
you could goto flatlanderracing.com (something like that) and they'll custom grind you one for $235 and you'll avoid all the comp cams .500 lift bs. i'm sure you could even give them comp cams specs and they'd do it for you.. you never know.

Good luck.

·
I'm a huge ass
10,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what the best size cam that will give the mean idle sounds and not just make the exhuast sound like your truck is running on its last leg?

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
I like my 260ahr. If you have an automatic i would get that one, or the 266HR. If you have a manual you could go with the 270AHR. The 260 has good low end and midrange, the 266 has good midrange, and the 270 has good top end. It is up to you where you want your power to be. Your guess is as good as mine as to power output, i have no idea. The 260 probably has the best idle(in terms of lack of lope), but as long as you get a computer friendly camshaft you should be fine.

·
Got Fuel Rails?
4,539 Posts
All three would unless you had comp take the lift down to no more than .470". Then you would probably just use the 983-12 springs, and the corresponding locks, and retainers. Now if you do it that way you are probably down to 450, plus another 100 for gaskets, and other stuff that you can't predict when you start.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts