S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, ultimately, i was thinking of putting in a 2wd blazer rearend with 3.42 gears, posi, and disks. i found a few in the junkyards around here, so maybe when money is good, ill pick one up.

on the other hand, my roommate has a 94 Camaro Z28... he recently rebuilt the motor and put NO2 on it, so he has to put in a new rearend to account for the HP.

my question: how hard would it be to use the camaro rearend on my truck? is it wider? will it be a direct bolt up to the driveshaft? will the F-body brakes work?

ok, worst case: i buy another s10 rearend with just the posi. can i use the camaro brakes on an s10 axle?

help me out here guys. please teach me about this stuff.

·
11 second station wagon
2,921 Posts
Camaro rear is a good bit wider.......so ...........unless your going to add dually fenders thats a no go.

The gears and (or) posi could be swapped in but....How mechanically inclined are you?

as far as disc brakes. The 1996 up s/10's and blazer's came with rear disc..... so if you can't make the camaro ones work......

·
Registered
155 Posts
Plus the mounts would need some work

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Camaro rear is a good bit wider.......so ...........unless your going to add dually fenders thats a no go.

The gears and (or) posi could be swapped in but....How mechanically inclined are you?

as far as disc brakes. The 1996 up s/10's and blazer's came with rear disc..... so if you can't make the camaro ones work......
well that's a no go on the rear then. i dont doubt my mechanical skills on swapping one out, but i think ill opt out on that one.

as far as rear disks, maybe you worded that wrong. i have a 97 s10, and as far as i know, all s10 trucks came with drums in the rear.
im pretty sure it is the 98+ blazers that came with disks in the back, so im keeping my eye out for a 2wd blazer rear end with the 3.42 rearend. the ZR2 (4x4) rearend is a few inches wider and that will not suit my application because of the backspacing on my wheels.

thanks for your help guys. i now know what i need to do. just keep my eyes out for a blazer rearend

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
my 2001 gmc has drum brakes. and the rear is toast also. time for a rear end swap I guess

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 91 S-10 and took out the stock one wheel wonder rearend with drum brakes and I'm swaping it out with a 411 posi with disc brake mounts put I took discs off a 2001 Jimmy cuz it didn't have brakes on it...I'm hoping they will work. The posi rearend is 2 inches shorter on both ends...does anyone know what it might have come out of...everything bolted right up.

·
ELTC
8,391 Posts
2001 xtreme 6cyl with drum brakes
1998 4cyl with drum brakes

its the Blazers not the dimes

·
HUNG LOW
150 Posts
so the best bet for a sonoma to get a posi rear end would be to get an extreme rear end? they are all posis and will bolt right up?

·
Hello
11,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made this thread years ago.

I have since swapped out my rear-end for a 2wd 2001 Blazer rear that had 3:42 gears with limited slip and disc brakes. My truck had 3:08 gears with an open diff. I had to have my ECU reprogrammed to account for the new gearing so my speedo would read correctly (also have different sized wheels and tires).

An Xtreme pickup truck would have a limited slip differential (not posi) and would still have drum brakes UNLESS you got an Xtreme Blazer rear-end; then it should have discs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts