S-10 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello S-10 fans!

I am converting my 2WD auto 2.8 1986 S-10 to 3.4 Camaro power. I have access to the 5-speed from the camaro I got the engine from for a really good price. I want to convert the truck to a 5-speed, but none of the boneyards around here have a decent 5-speed.

Problem is that the shifter on the Camaro 5-speed is at the back of the trans. Is there a way to convert a Camaro 5-speed shifter to the middle of the trans like the s-10 five speeds are?

Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nathan Acree 86 s-10 auto 2.8 (soon to be 3.4)

·
Registered
205 Posts
NO you can't move the shifter. You can, however, cut a new hole where the shifter comes through the floor and sheet metal and seam seal the old hole. You will want to use all of the trans assembly (bellhousing, clutch, slave cylinder, etc) for your swap BUT use the S10 master cylinder. You will have to get some line and pull the slave cylinder off of the Camaro trans so you can tap it to adapt it to fit. Just use some 1/8" pipe thread fittings to go into the slave and use some good line (I use braided line) to connect the slave to the master. I don't know if you noticed this yet, but if I remember correctly, you will have to buy a new and longer speedo cable because the speedo tap is farther back on the Camaro trans. Hope this helps.

·
The Original A D M I N
18,797 Posts
yes he will need to get a new longer cable. While you are in there replacing the lines i would replace all lines at this time with braided lines.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts