S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been answered before and I just can't find it, is there any junkyard cam that can be swapped into a 2.8 to improve low end?

88 S10 Durango Long Bed 2wd 2.8L Auto

·
Lifelong S-10 Owner
312 Posts
I used a Crane camshaft that had .427" lift intake and .454" lift exhaust in my 2.8 V6 back in the mid 1980's. It really perked the truck up along with a .040 overbore.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking for a stock swap in like 3.4 cam I've heard their interchangeable

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,312 Posts
Personally? Why bother with a used cam? Aftermarket isn't that expensive. Plus less worries.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If its cheaper and achieves the same result why not save a few bucks? Yea it's not super expensive but there's a difference in $30 and $130 I could spend that $100 on suspension or a shift kit even

·
time to get cereal
2,287 Posts
Just do the whole 3.4L swap and throw a T5 in at the same time. If you want power get rid of that power robbing slush box.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been eyeing those 3.4 hybrids using 3500 cranks n rods but unfortunately building a new engine isn't possible atm that's why Im going for something I can do in stages, without taking my truck down for more than 2 days

·
time to get cereal
2,287 Posts
You could always just build a new engine on a stand and just swap the whole thing when ready... just putting ideas in your head, lol. I know it's easier said than done, I've had a 3.1L on the stand for months that I have all the parts for and I still haven't put it back together.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem is I have no where to keep it, if I had that much id be all for it

·
Registered
682 Posts
I'm sure this has been answered before and I just can't find it, is there any junkyard cam that can be swapped into a 2.8 to improve low end?

Other than the stock 2.8 there's only 2 oem cams I know of, the one that cam in the 3.4 93-95 Camaro / Firebird or the one that came in the factory S10 3.4 / 2.8 swap engine. The cam that came in the 3.4 swap engine was designed for the S10 and better low end.than the camaro firebird cam. Doubt it's still available new but I can get you the part number if you want it. I have the S10 3.4 factory engine in an 87 s blazer and it is great.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Other than the stock 2.8 there's only 2 oem cams I know of, the one that cam in the 3.4 93-95 Camaro / Firebird or the one that came in the factory S10 3.4 / 2.8 swap engine. The cam that came in the 3.4 swap engine was designed for the S10 and better low end.than the camaro firebird cam. Doubt it's still available new but I can get you the part number if you want it. I have the S10 3.4 factory engine in an 87 s blazer and it is great.
That'd be great thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Recommend is 480 285 and the s10 3.4 cam is 440 266, how much power would I be leaving on the table to go with it? I would be pairing with 4.3tbi/bored intake and 2 1/4 exhaust

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also what lifters/push rods would I need? I've read that feiro 2.8s came with roller lifters and rockers would those work or is this the wrong kind of cam for rollers?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Recommend is 480 285 and the s10 3.4 cam is 440 266, how much power would I be leaving on the table to go with it? I would be pairing with 4.3tbi/bored intake and 2 1/4 exhaust

Typically a longer duration cam moves the power up on the rpm scale all else equal. The 2.8 doesn't have a lot of low end torque to begin with so if you want low end don't go wild with the cam. Either the camaro 3.4 cam or the 3.4 crate engine cam I listed would add some power but the crate cam more at the lower end. Some one had the crate cam for sale here some time back...a used cam would have to have the lifters in the original order or new lifters.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Low/midrange is what I'm after seeing as I use my s10 for towing my trail toy

·
Registered
4 Posts

You might try a company called Delta Camshafts located in Tacoma Washington. I've got some great camshafts from them in the past that give a bunch of bottom end torque for smaller displacement motors.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts