S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the camshaft gear on the 4.3 liter engine is plastic or metal. I have heard that some of them are plastic? I am debating on whether I should change the timing chain and gears. My truck has 147000 miles on it and it doesn't burn oil. Except for the valve guide seals. Any recommendations? I have heard to change it and I have heard to wait until I rebuild the engine to do it. I am not sure what to do because I am confident I will get at least 250,000 out of the engine. I don't know about the tranny. Let me know your thoughts on the timing chain. Thanks! Big Mac

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
I would change it. Put in a good double roller chain:thumbup:
setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Thanks for the advice I figured I should do it anyway. Have you done this job before. I have heard that all that needs to be done is to raise the engine a couple of 2x4's high and lower the oil pan. Then just remove the cover and change everything. Do you have any input? I have heard that it is possible to do the job without lowering the oil pan. is the oil pan gasket a one piece or a four piece? Any help would be appreciated on this matter. Thanks

·
I'd Rather be Blown than Injected
251 Posts
Cam chain

I have 3 lifts in my shop so its easy for me to work on my truck.
I usually drop the pan,I find it's easyier to do the job that way.
Dont like bending things. Diffrent years had diffrent gaskets
jest get the right one and use a good sealer so it doesn't leak.
Its not a hard job to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. My truck is an 88 Blazer. I guess I'll drop the pan and get a new gasket. Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts