S-10 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 blazer

My blazer has had an intermittant electrical problem for some time now, let me know if you have any ideas, because I am out......

Several months ago got in the truck, turned the key to start, and nothing - no lights on the dash, no clicks, no headlights, no power anyhwere. Jumped with another car, took a long while but it started, indicator on battery yellow "replace" so I did.

1 week later did same thing, this time I couldn't get it started, no power anywhere, disconnected battery and reconnected it and truck worked perfectly. Thinking the starter had something going (solenoid, etc)on I replaced the starter. Checked out electrical lines to starter, continuity. Battery cables are clean (dremel wire brush shiny clean).

1.5 weeks later same thing, this time I had my voltmeter - 12 volts on top posts but no power anywhere to the truck.

Whenever the problem happens I disconnect the battery and reconnect it - the truck starts again and runs perfect, no drivability problems whatsoever.

Has been doing it about once every 2 weeks, and I have come to find out the battery side posts (where the truck is connected) read 3 volts when the problem is happening, and return to 12 volts when quickly disconnected and reconnected to the truck. Something is making the voltage 3 volts when the problem happens, and the strange thing is the top posts on the battery (battery has top and side posts) always read 12 volts regardless of the problem. Next time the problem happens I am going to pull one fuse at a time to try and figure out which fuse results in power returning. What could the problem be????? Ignition switch, some relay, ??????. What should I do to further troubleshoot the problem?
Thanks for any help - this is driving me crazy:eek:

·
Better post-em.
11,303 Posts
well you may have a defective battery, i have had my fair share of em...

its like the side mount terminal is broken off or not making good contact within the battery itself.

but thats all i can say...do you have another battery you could try out for a while to see if it is your battery or somehting else?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well it happened again today, and I got some info.

When checking resistance I found that I get continuity from the negative and positive post of the battery when grounding to metal on the truck. Basically It seems somewhere the positive power (cable?) is grounding to the truck, and shorting things out, why disconnecting the battery helps I have no clue. The positive cable and grounded to the truck shows continuity even when it is running correctly - ????? How can it run if this is the case? Also, the positive cable shows continuity to the truck when disconnected from the battery, making me think the problem is in the truck somewhere. Where do I go from here, aside from just looking at things visually?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That will happen because you are reading continuity through lights and coils on relays and sorts. I am really surprised your not blowin fuse on a 9 volt voltage drop, that is alot of resistence and current to get that. Hate to say a bad battery but it is possible. Oh you said you were going to pull fuses. did ya. Sorry man,you wont have high amps with higher resistence but you will have less volts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts