S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I like my dog more than u
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new on here. Currently own a lightly modded Protege 5, but the old lady is taking that and i'm gonna buy a truck again.

So looking for info on the s10, as in what years to buy and the diffs between them. Wanting a 98ish or newer, v6 of course and ext. cab short box.

Then where to shop for truck shit in Calgary, since right away will lower it and buy rims/rubber. And i noticed that there are multiple ways of lowering a truck?! Whats the best for everyday driving with no hassles. (will buy 17s or 18s)

Thanks guys, Doug

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
Allright,
here we go...there is no difference in the trucks from 98-03 although you know they are discontinued and being replaced with the canyon and collarado...but you want an s10 or sonoma they only thing you need to worry about is an extended cab and that it is a v6 they are all shortbox and mostly they come loaded...unless you buy the plain jane models then lowering also gets expensive

you can get an allready lowered truck stock you want to look for the zq8 models, in the GMC you can find it or for the s-10 that is the xtreme model which also has the ground effects.

To answer your question about lowering buying the zq8 is the best way to go because it comes with front and rear sway bars and lowered 2 inches and then you can lower it further with spindles and block to get a 4/5 which is basically slammed and still rides like a dream

if you buy a truck without the zq8 you need to get spindles that will lower you 2 inches in the front if you want 3 or more than you need springs aswell, for the back blocks come in 1,2,3 and then you can get drop leafs for 3inches those are your lowering options if you don't have the zq8 I would also recommend that you get sway bars but that is up to you

as for all your truck needs performance wise go to bestbuy it is the cheapest in town by FAR!!! you can get your lowering stuff there as for rims and tires just shop around!!

If you have any other questions just ask

and once you get the truck come check out Calgary Sport Trucks a local club where the s-10 owners hang!!

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I think we already have a non-zq8 picked out, find out tomorrow. I know i can just search this stuff but that comes with its own hassles, so a quick few questions. So for everyday driveability what drop is recommended and how? With S10s and buying 17s or 18s, is rubbing ever a problem with your average drops? My car does a bit with people in the back but not excessively at all.

WHere is this "best buy" place, and is that the actual name? Do they also do installs? I was also reading about having to cut out the bumper stops in the back? Needed or not?

Rims and rubber, what's the info for a 2000 ext. cab S10. As in lug pattern size, offset needed front and back etc....

Thanks again and see you guys soon.
Is there a web site for Calgary sport trucks?

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
No website yet...we should be working on that over the winter (Note to self) Head over to www.forums.s-series.org in the canada section is where all the meets and stuff get posted!!

Drop info- how low do you want to go? 3/4=some wheelwell gap, 4/5=no wheelwell gap this is the most popular..watch out for potholes and speedbumps with this one and be prepared to be a snowplow!! yes you will need to ditch the bumpstops in the back and probably in the front aswell if you go anything more than 3 in the front...I hit my bumpstops alot and I have a 3/4...as for rubbing welcome to the world of real!! lowered vehicles you won't rub on either of those drops if you get the right size tires and rims!!

Bestbuy is in the phonebook it is on center st north of 16ave about a block
they don't do installs but you can get the parts there for cheap they carry all the belltech stuff which is probably the way to go for quality!!

As for rims don't bother with 17's too small go 18's and be happy here is what you need... a 5 on 4 3/4 bolt pattern with 4.5inch backspacing in an 18 with 245/40/18 tires I would reccomend the Kumho 712 good quality tire for cheap!!

if you just decide to do a 3/4 drop I have been told you can do 20's but it is not recommended as most people say they look tooooo big on an s-10!! On a 4/5 you will rub too much with 20's

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, can't wait to get truck and start buying shit for it. That link won't work for me!

·
I Am Canadian!
1,194 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts