S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 90 Posts
Discussion starter · #61 ·
Re: corvette steering wheel swap R&D

looks awesome. So I dont remember which airbag set up did you go with since you had a few to try out? Or did you not end up using it?
I am going to use the 2007 express van, its a single stage unit The fit seems tight in the cover, if I feel its a lot tighter then the vette one ill try a gto unit. I know that has been done on another forum. Most expensive part is buying a vette bag unit to take it apart only to use the cover and back cover. My cost's so far

$40 for a 09 vette column, wheel and deployed airbag. (Don't think anyone will get one cheaper. I was lucky)

$70 new leather wrapped wheel

$35 1999 s10 airbag (was way to big to use)

$50 2007 express van airbag

$250 2006 corvette airbag unit. (bought off a corvette forum member)

$400 is a bit much for a wheel swap, but its unique as long as it functions as intended

$400 isn't that ridiculous - a new Momo wheel can be $200+ and the hub adapter is close to $100.

Discussion starter · #63 ·

New wheel is in! Airbag will be here Thrusday. Ill test drive before that, just waiting on some fittings for my trans cooler.

Nice work, gives me lots of ideas now for interior mods.

Discussion starter · #66 ·

I was testing the horn after install and found no toot. After looking at the steering wheel I see the vettes actually have a power and ground to the horn switch on the wheel where as the s10 grounds to the wheel it self. I took the ground wire on the vette wheel (its small and had a small connector) soldered it to a small washer and put the washer between the spoke cover and metal part of the wheel. Plugged it all back and hit the horn toooooooooooooot! Just so you know.

Discussion starter · #67 ·

Got this today. I have been driving it for two days. I like the smaller 3 spoke wheel over the 4 spoke. When I get home tonight ill transplant my bag and igniter in to this.

Discussion starter · #68 ·

I put the two igniter bag units side by side for comparison. They are close enough. I did put two long zip zips around the unit to keep it from spreading out on insertion. The vette unit actually has a wrap around it.

Putting the unit in the cover was not bad. I used the end handle of a screw driver to push the corners in and pull the rubber over the tabs. Just took my time and it went in fine.

Airbag system went through it's checks and no airbag light BAM. "I HAVE EXORCISED THE DEMONS, THIS HOUSE IS CLEAR!"

Can we make this a sticky and is it worthy. Remember this is what I did, not you. You go F#ucking around with your SIR system and get a face full of bag, NOT MY FAULT. (Public service announcement)

The ultimate test is slamming the front bumper with a baseball bat and seeing if the airbag goes off :p

Just kidding: great work as usual, very easy for me to do something similiar (and I know, it would be done at own risk)

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Want to do the wheel swap just looking for the right one for the right price

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
yea, I hear ya. The vette airbag was the single most expensive piece and I only used the cover. I picked up the wheel it self for about $70 new. It was listed for a pontiac solstice, but its the same as the vette.

And here I was trying to figure out how to put a leather S10 wheel in my HHR SS. Seriously though, great engineering job, and thorough info for anyone willing to tackle it. Well done !

Discussion starter · #75 ·
And here I was trying to figure out how to put a leather S10 wheel in my HHR SS. Seriously though, great engineering job, and thorough info for anyone willing to tackle it. Well done !
thanks man!

Really looking for another post and an update.....

I have a 2004 vette and I am doing the swap as well.

Really looking for an update on the airbag situation

Joe

PS GREAT work so far the corvette forums have nothing on you.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Really looking for another post and an update.....

I have a 2004 vette and I am doing the swap as well.

Really looking for an update on the airbag situation

Joe

PS GREAT work so far the corvette forums have nothing on you.
What kind of pics and update you looking for. Its been going strong. I haven't have an SRS light so I won't know until I hit something.

I finally finished reading the entire thread..... brought tears to my eyes.

You should charge for that much info. I have ordered all e parts and I will be walking down this same path soon.

thanks fr all your help.

Joe

By the way maybe I can just send you all my parts and you could put them together for me???

Discussion starter · #79 ·
I finally finished reading the entire thread..... brought tears to my eyes.

You should charge for that much info. I have ordered all e parts and I will be walking down this same path soon.

thanks fr all your help.

Joe

By the way maybe I can just send you all my parts and you could put them together for me???
When I figured out the tilt piece was the same I was amazed no one else figured it out. Luckily for me I was able to buy a whole c6 steering column from a guy for $40. The only part I can't stress enough is the airbag system. I can't condone what I did to anyone or be held responsible if someone else attempts it and has a problem. Just make sure if you do swap out the bag, the connectors are then same. Let me know if you have any questions.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.