S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Re: corvette steering wheel swap R&D

Moon if you figure out how to mount that c6 wheel you will be my new hero! Good work keep it up!
You need the upper shaft from a tilt wheel vette, express van or any other compatible wheel listed above. The airbag is the only issue for me.

I will have mine done in a few weeks

·
Registered
304 Posts

Quick question, do all of the steering wheels from the ones listed above use that mult-stage airbag deploy thingy-ma-bobber? I'd love to have a newer wheel from the full size trucks (like the savanna vans) with all the steering wheel controls and still keep a working airbag. Keep up the good work and I love how thorough your research gets. Thanks for sharing this with us!

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

So if I order this part "GM part number 26074286, upper steering shaft (c6 vette)"
A cobalt wheel will bolt right up just the airbag won't work? Do you have any pictures of one bolted up?
Yes, but you might find the part cheaper by getting it from a Silverado or van with tilt wheel. Its the upper shaft, just has to be newer like listed above. Near the top is a pic of a Camaro with the wheel. I also found a GTO swap. They used the upper shaft and the GTO guy used his airbag and igniter in the corvette airbag cover. Also, correct the airbag will be non functioning unless you modify it.

Just want to put this out there (This is uncharted waters and this is what I am doing, you do so at your own risk. I will not be responsible if you have an issue) Just saying!

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Quick question, do all of the steering wheels from the ones listed above use that mult-stage airbag deploy thingy-ma-bobber? I'd love to have a newer wheel from the full size trucks (like the savanna vans) with all the steering wheel controls and still keep a working airbag. Keep up the good work and I love how thorough your research gets. Thanks for sharing this with us!
you would still have to swap out the upper shaft to get them to work. The vans and 2500hd trucks use single stage units and could be wired.

(YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK, I am not an engineer, just a pioneer!)

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

got this one in the mail today I am 99% certain it will fit in the vette unit. I need to drill some holes in the back cover plate. Dont worry it wont be near the airbag or igniter while doing it. I also paid some one this morning for a corvette airbag unit. Was a little more then I wanted to spend but less then ebay. He still gave me a great deal! I need to order the airbag connector and should have the airbag in a week or two.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

I made some head way today. I got the van airbag pulled apart. Drilled new hole in the backing plate for the vette unit and test fit it in the blown unit. I think this will do. The connector is similar to the Jimmy's so I might be able to use it. Here are some test shots of the van unit in various stages of undress and change over. I clamped the backing plate from the van unit to the vette one and marked the new holes and drilled them out.

holes drilled and assembled to the vette unit.

fitted in the airbag cover. If its too tight I can use the gto igniter and airbag. Luckily the van and gto bags run about $50 shipped. I don't mind spending that for research and proper fit. You can see the plate from the van unit I used as a template.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

ill start pulling the column as soon as the vette airbag gets shipped. Might be a week or two.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

I got the column out today. Started tear down and need a j-tool. Luckily its only 8bucks. Once the shaft is loose and you've removed all the snap ring you can't pull the shaft out. There are pins on each side at the pivot points. They need to be pulled out with the tool. I'll post some pics later. On the plus side, the connector on the igniter and bag are the same as the one thats on my jimmy airbag.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

ok, I am almost there. I have some pics of removing the tilt pivot bushings. I ordered a tool for $20 shipped on impulse, then stopped by a hardware store for $1.15 worth of bolts and nuts to make the tool. Using a socket as a spacer I threaded the 8-32 bolt through with a washer on top. Turning the nut pulls the bushing out. It was pretty easy. Remove the tilt spring before pulling the bushings.

After removing the bushings I pulled the top half off and installed the new upper shaft. I didn't get pics of that because my hands had grease on them.

wheel installed. I need to trim the column cover, the rim sticks out too much

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Now for the hard shit! The clock spring does not line up with the holes on the vette wheel. I had to trim some plastic from the clock spring in the lower circled portion. The wire still has yellow covering level with the clock spring. The trimming did the trick, not the horn spring is the other issue. I can't fix it until I get the other wheel puller from AutoZone.

I am posting what I am doing and any mods you make are at your own risk.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Nice work as usual...you have too much time on your hands....lol
Time, lol. I do this in between work and life. Yesterday was my day off. I went grocery shopping until 2pm, came home put that crap up and pulled the ford 8.8 out in the driveway to clean up. Then cleaned up the garage to back the jimmy in and pull out the column along with the front bumper to get at the trans cooler. I'm like a rabid rabbit on my free time!

thanks for the props! Helps when you don't have kids.

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

The clockspring has been trimmed around the wires, the horn plug has been trimmed also. They both fit behind the steering wheel now with no issues.

If you removed the tilt pivot bushings remember to stake them again after you install them. I used a hammer and metal chisel to put three nicks around the bushing to keep them in.

pic of the clock spring where I trimmed plastic away from the base of the wires.

The horn wires had a long plastic tube that goes through a hole on the wheel, the vettes do not have this so I had to shorten the tube enough that it would still go in the ring but not stick out too much.

soldered the horn wire to the wheel horn wire and got rid of one of the wires. I don't need two.

The column cover had to have the neck trimmed down to clear the steering wheel back cover. I used an angle grinder with a sanding disc to take it down a little at a time until it cleared.

She's ready to go. I am going to keep it out while I swap out my hydroboost pump. Need all the clearance I can get.

·
GM Addict
101 Posts

Awesome work!!

I always admired the steering wheel in my 04 2500HD parts truck, but it wouldn't fit my 02' 2500HD. Now I can just swap out the columns (or at least the upper shaft) and have it fit right on.

Thanks for doing the legwork!! I've had those tilt columns pulled and rebuilt before and they do eat up some time. Luckily I bought the pivot pin remover tool beforehand :D

·
4,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #59

Awesome work!!

I always admired the steering wheel in my 04 2500HD parts truck, but it wouldn't fit my 02' 2500HD. Now I can just swap out the columns (or at least the upper shaft) and have it fit right on.

Thanks for doing the legwork!! I've had those tilt columns pulled and rebuilt before and they do eat up some time. Luckily I bought the pivot pin remover tool beforehand :D
Yea, I bought the tool also, but was impatient and made my own for $1.15. Now ill have a $20 tool laying around. Ill sell it for $10 shipped if anyone reads this and wants it.

·
Registered
477 Posts

looks awesome. So I dont remember which airbag set up did you go with since you had a few to try out? Or did you not end up using it?

41 - 60 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.