S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no use for the heat in my truck, plus I'm going for the extra clean look in the engine bay. I've searched around and what I believe people do in this situation is connect a small hose from one plug to the other on the firewall (inlets for the heater core). So here are my questions,
How do I block the port on the engine block and the one on the water pump? I'm guessing copper plugs, but don't know..
Is this the only way to go? Could I skip on the hose and just insert two plugs on the firewall inlets and the same on the block and pump?

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
I have no use for the heat in my truck, plus I'm going for the extra clean look in the engine bay. I've searched around and what I believe people do in this situation is connect a small hose from one plug to the other on the firewall (inlets for the heater core). So here are my questions,
How do I block the port on the engine block and the one on the water pump? I'm guessing copper plugs, but don't know..
Is this the only way to go? Could I skip on the hose and just insert two plugs on the firewall inlets and the same on the block and pump?
98layinframe and I where talking about this,

We see no problem fully blocking off these ports. For when you just connect or 'bypass' the core you also bypass the cooling loop in your block lol

·
Registered
928 Posts
IMHO, I would not completely block the ports coming from the block. I would however run a hose from the outlet to the inlet. I'm not sure if engineers figured that cooling flow into their calculations for proper engine performance and I would not want to mess anything up. For the heater core I would just get some of those plastic caps and cap at the firewall as proposed.

·
2,679 Posts
You can cut the lines going to the heater core and get about 4 inches of 1/2 inch copper pipe and 4 stainless claps to connect the heater hoses together.
Unless the heater core is bad, you may some day you may regret doing this.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
DO NOT plug the lines to and from the motor. These lines provide a bypass around the thermostat during engine warm up to prevent hot spots. With the lines on the motor plugged, you could have localized overheating before the t.stat opens. If you eliminate the heater, just run a 1/2" bypass hose from the intake manifold to the water pump.

·
Local Tech
5,407 Posts
if you are trying to clean up ur engine bay, i thought u were smoothing over the hole for the core.... if ur not, i would leave it alone, cuz then u have no heat, and loojk like ur heater core went bad, but was too cheap to fix it for no reason....

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great so I'll have a 1/2" hose from the block to the water pump and I'll plug the water core holes on the firewall with a plug.

Does anyone know of the size of these plugs by any chance?

if you are trying to clean up ur engine bay, i thought u were smoothing over the hole for the core.... if ur not, i would leave it alone, cuz then u have no heat, and loojk like ur heater core went bad, but was too cheap to fix it for no reason....
I know it sounds very contradicting but my core has been bad and I'd hate to take the dash out right now. So when it gets below the 100*'s outside I'll do the job right and also take the truck somewhere for the weld and a paint job.

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Great so I'll have a 1/2" hose from the block to the water pump and I'll plug the water core holes on the firewall with a plug.

Does anyone know of the size of these plugs by any chance?

I know it sounds very contradicting but my core has been bad and I'd hate to take the dash out right now. So when it gets below the 100*'s outside I'll do the job right and also take the truck somewhere for the weld and a paint job.
I messed up when I said to use 1/2" hose for the bypass. I meant 5/8".

When you say "the size of the plugs" do you mean the size of the heater core tubes? Because they are 5/8" inlet and 3/4" outlet, (hose size).

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I messed up when I said to use 1/2" hose for the bypass. I meant 5/8".

When you say "the size of the plugs" do you mean the size of the heater core tubes? Because they are 5/8" inlet and 3/4" outlet, (hose size).
Gotcha.

I know those are the sizes of the hose, but are those also the size of what the plugs should be that will go on the firewall?

·
2,679 Posts
Just leave about 4 inches of hose sticking out. Get a couple of inches of 1/2 copper pipe and two 1/2 caps from the plumbing secton. Solder the caps on. Place them it the leftover hoses and clamp them down.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Went to the auto store and got heater bypass caps (help part# 02253) and a foot of 5/8" hose. Will try those tomorrow and hope they work fine.

Just leave about 4 inches of hose sticking out. Get a couple of inches of 1/2 copper pipe and two 1/2 caps from the plumbing secton. Solder the caps on. Place them it the leftover hoses and clamp them down.
That won't be such a clean look so I'll try the first alternative but thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts