S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well now, two and a half hours and $6 worth of cutoff wheels and it's no more bump stop on the passenger side! The drivers side should go a lot quicker because a lot of the time spent on this side was deveoping technique! The gain was two and a quarter inches of suspension travel.....so with a 4" drop I'll only loose one and three quarter inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Wow Rick, I didn't know you were so adept at math! :D

I think you should spray some stuff on there so it doesn't rust. I'll get around to cutting mine off some day, but it rarely bottoms out with just a 2/3 drop.

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did that before I put the wheel back on but wanted it to show up better so I took the pics unpainted!

·
Long Bed Member
3,065 Posts
nice , now all i need to do is perform my drop and while im at it cut them off too

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
very nice, it will ride like it is at stock height now! :thumbup:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob! I'll do that just to be on the safe side when I grind the drivers side but to tell ya the truth it didn't throw that many sparks. Now I wasn't grinding all that agressively and I was using a thin cutoff disc. And it could be because of the lower speeds I was using, I have a small compressor and it won't keep up with my air tools so I was using my electric drill...it worked great but is a bit bulkier than a die gringer or cutoff tool.

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
wait is that on your blazer? i need to take mine off really bad and could use and info you could give me. i have a first gen blazer. thanks:thumbup:

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not a blazer, a Pick-up. But they should be almost the same.

I went to Lowes and picked up 10 3" cutoff discs (Vermont American brand name) and the mandril that adapts them for use in a drill. (I think the size is 3/8") I ground on the side of the bumpstop frame about an 1/8" from the weld and ground it and the weld down until they were the level of the truck frame. When you get near the level of the truck frame smack the bumpstop frame with your hammer and the seam should show up as a crack. Grind off the rear and as much of the fromt as you can get then use a chisle and crowbar to pry the bumpstop frame away from the truck frame. If you have some unground weld at the front you can just wiggle the thing till it breaks off.

The first one took me 2 1/2 hours.... The second one only took an hour.

98SSonNOS did a complete thread with pictures and that is what I followed. Try to find that thread, it was very helpful. If ya have any more questions I'll help any way I can!

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
Thanks for the pic, what happens when you bottom out without the bumpstops??? anyone

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bad things for sure...there are aftermarket bumpstops that bolt through the frame. I plan on putting some in at the same time the drop suspension goes in.

·
can i video tape you?
2,360 Posts
well when you bottom out with out bumpstops its a sound you never want to hear, axle to frame. the sounds make you wanna cry i swear, and if you bottom out if enuf you can get some nice axle warp-age which is alwazes nice!

·
Project ZO6 S-10
588 Posts
so what do you replace the old bump stop with? small urethane one??

·
Self Portrait
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yea...gauge where the rear end will contact the frame and drill a hole then bolt the bumpstop in and your done!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts