S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at buying a 2000 Sonoma, single cab, short bed, 4.3 vortec + 5spd at 140,000 miles. I've already searched the site for all the warnings.

What are some things to look for and ask?
I already know to check frame for bends underneath, rust, and checking the fluids but other than that I dont know what to look for. This is the first time ever buying a car.

I already have a 2002 Sonoma extended cab 4.3 vortec. But it's an automatic. Plus it has 250,000 miles. What would be some things to look out for? I'm sure plenty of people have asked this before but I need to know the whole process.

Thank you ahead of time!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You have had a truck and have a good idea what your looking for. Since your not experienced I would take another set of eyes with you that has that knowledge. Don't settle for something your not truly happy with. Don't make a snap buy - take time think/discuss it maybe even a second look. If it's right you will own it.

·
Old Fart
2,969 Posts
Look close at the engine for signs of neglect and listen to it running for unusual sounds. besides bodywork engine and trans work are expensive especially if you can't do it yourself. Like was said before take a knowledgable person with you to check it out or take to a shop you trust to look it over. A few dollars spent for an inspection now could save major money later.

·
8/31/1897 - 4/29/2004
9,159 Posts
Depends on how much the truck costs,and what condition it,and it’s parts are in dictates how important any of this is....

if the truck is $500,cranks,and runs&drives? Why are you wasting our time? why haven’t you bought it yet? If it’s $3000 it better like really damn good,and purr...ac blow snow,and look like ya got it at a dealership.

a 4.3 is a cheap engine.I’d buy that truck just for its transmission,rearend,and engine harness...that’s very low mileage for an s10 too. I’ve gone through dozens of them,and most have around 160k-200k miles for the last couple years it’s been that way.

hesitation leads to disappointment. buy now,worry later. If you don’t have the cash,or have time to ask questions on s10f if it was worth anywhere close to what is being asked for it,it’s probably already gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts