S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

After driving my Blazer ZR-2 I can smell some kind of burning smell when i come to a stop. I dont think its the engine. I think that it has something to do with the brakes. I put brand new brake pads on the rear yesterday and the smell started after the new pads were put on. Does anyone have any idea what this may be or how i can fix it? Thanks alot.

-Jeff

·
Off Roadin' Member
1,277 Posts
if you put alot of excess anti squeak grease on the brake pads backing it might be getting hot and putting off a smell. other than that i dont know.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
they mite just need to be broken in a lil?

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Perhaps you have a slightly seized brake pad that is not disengaging and rubbing the rotor?

I would look into it, not only will it kill your fuel economy, you will have to buy new pads and rotors again in a couple weeks.

·
QuickerPICKerUPer
302 Posts
check to see if your calipers are frozen or hard to release by using a large C-clamp or channel locks to move it inwards, if its really tough look at replacing the calipers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didnt put any anti squeek grease....so it cant be that.

I guess i will take the wheels off tomorrow and see if they are just seized up.

-Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also...it seems to be coming from only, or mainly, the rear driver's side wheel. The other side, which also has a new pad, doesnt seem to be doing it. Any ideas?

-Jeff

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
I think you probably just need to break them in. My break pads always rub for a few days after I change them, producing a burning smell. It eventually goes away.

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
Maybe your parking break is seized on.

That would cause the smoking for sure.

·
Goin` no where fast!
445 Posts
did u get ur rotars turned when u put the new brakes on? maybe the pad just needs to wear down to match the rotar if u didn't

edit: well nm i just read it again and u said rear brakes so u prob don't have rear disc brakes

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah...it does have rear disc brakes. i think you may be right about the rotors. I didnt have them turned and they arent exactly in good shape. That may be the problem. I need to buy new rotors soon anyway.

-Jeff

·
Clean N' Dark
1,921 Posts
But that wouldn't cause the burning smell.

Only a seized caliper.

·
NTBSSHEVN
9,248 Posts
Did u push the piston back in the calliper when u changed the pads. I am pretty sure u did but some people u never now. I would definatly get the rotors turned and its most likly a stick caliper or a collapsed hose in the rubber part. But if it was that then it woudn't have gone away later. Just jack up the back end and spin the wheels and see if there is some resistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts