S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe its just late and I cant think too well, but Im tryin to figure out what happens to the front bumper when you insert a body lift into the mix. The body lift obviously goes in between the body mounts on the frame and the body itself, so wont it produce a gap under the grill above the bumper, since the bumper is bolted to the frame? Because I know it does in the rear, but Ive never seen a gap in the front, so do they supply spacers to go between the bumper mounts and the frame?

Another question is about 2wd lift kits. Ive seen people doggin the Fabtech kit on here but the Fabtech seems to be more popular when installed. The CST kit looks nice but CST only supplys shackles and hangers to lift the rear (or 4" lift springs as an option) while the Fabtech kit uses a flip kit on the axle. IMO the flip kit is much better because having the axle under the leafs is an advantage when lifting the truck, esp since you can just add blocks to level out your ride as needed or to just easily upgrade your current lift.

Let me know your opinions, Im going to start installing lift kits for people and Id just like to get some background info, since Im mainly a lowering guy. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My kit didnt come with brackets to lift the bumpers. For the front we had to cut the bumper bracket horn off and weld on a piece of flat steel and weld the horn back on 3" higher. For the rear I had a friend fabricate a really nice piece to sit it 3" up, said I could even tow with the bumper if I wanted.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya youre right, there was a gap there..I just didnt notice it on that truck. I guess thats fine and dandy for the 1st gens, but the 2nd gens use bumper end caps and things that mount the bumper to the fender. If you install a body lift without moving the bumper up its gonna look like ass..

·
Registered
76 Posts
BaggnS10 said:
i think trailmaster is the only company still offering bumper brackets. wernt you selling an old S-10 with a body lift on it? there was a gap between the bumper and the grille on that one.
The PA kit comes with bumper blocks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The PA comes with bumper blocks on the new models, but they dont ever plan on making the brackets for the 1st gens. I was pissed when I first found this out but the brackets they make are pretty sissy anyways.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya, prolly better off makin your own brackets anyway. I didn't raise my bumpers w/ the body lift because I don't think they look bad @ stock height(just need a filler plate under tailgate) & PA cops are pretty anal about bumper height.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya but thats first gens, the 2nd gen trucks would look bad with the bumper at stock height and a body lift under the cab because of the way the bumper mounts to the fenders..

Anyway, no opnions on the 2wd lift kits?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts