S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3/4 drop and i was told by someone to remove the bumpstops? Would that help? How exactly do you do this? thanks for the help

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
98 SS on NOS posted a great thread on this topic, look around for it, I think it is in the suspension section. Step by step instructions!

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you remove the bumpstops out of the rear your truck will ride much better. I did it on my 96 sonoma and it kept the stops from slaming on the axle. If you take them out you get about 3 or 4 inches of clearance in the rear between the axle and frame as long as you cut the metal piece holding them on off to.

·
For Sale
190 Posts
your ride is bad on a 3/4 drop?
what kind of drop did u use? and what shocks do u have.
Tony just removed my brackets and it rides like stock hight.
but if u cut the stops and not remove them u may still slam on your axle which will make you very NOT happy. heh ..
they are a pain in the butt , so jus cut dem out :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using 4 inch. blocks in the back. For the front i put in control arms. Why is it that the my front is higher than the back? It's probably about an inch higher. I've had the drop for about 2 weeks now.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh..i and i still have stock shocks on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree on cutting the bumpstops off including the metal bracket... It'll be so much nicer not smacking onto them everytime you hit dips...

·
Registered
6 Posts
don't remove the bumpstops, it will mess your truck up in the long run , i could and might crack your frame , just take them out shave them down or buy the aftermarket ones that are made for lowerd trucks, you take them all the way out you have good chance of hurtting something your goin to need

·
For Sale
190 Posts
Spaceman said:
don't remove the bumpstops, it will mess your truck up in the long run , i could and might crack your frame , just take them out shave them down or buy the aftermarket ones that are made for lowerd trucks, you take them all the way out you have good chance of hurtting something your goin to need
if you have zq8 shocks or better.... and cut off the brackets... your truck will be fine for a long long long long long long time.
if you decide to shave the bumpstop down.... then all i can say is i hope u like hitting ur axle :)
cut em off and be free!!:cool:

·
Snowboardin' Member
155 Posts
98S10LS619 said:
I agree on cutting the bumpstops off including the metal bracket... It'll be so much nicer not smacking onto them everytime you hit dips...
Ya, I found out you have to cut that bracket off too, not just the bumpstop itself. If you cut more than 1-1/2 inches off the bumpstop, your axle will be smacking on the back of the bracket

·
Med School member
179 Posts
Spaceman said:
so it makes sense to keep them in there, and smack metal against metal all day long? I dont think so

I think if you smacked metal against metal for an extended period of time it MIGHT do something bad, but if you elliminate it by cutting the brackets and all so it DOESNT hit.....then your safe.

does this make any sense to anyone else?

·
Snowboardin' Member
155 Posts
Yup, i agree with GMC, if you shave too much off the bumpstop, or put low-pro one in, it won't matter because the axle will still hit the bracket. Cut the bracket clean off, and if you still feel you need bumpstops, get some low-pro ones and then put them on

·
Med School member
179 Posts
thanQ

·
Registered
1 Posts
RE: Bumpstops...

I removed only the Bumpstops themselves and tried that for about a week or two... Not too bad... until I hit a dip or one of those sharp drops in the pavement.... Then I cringed when that axle hit the bumpstop bracket!!!! :eek:

So I removed the bumpstop bracket! :cool: Ahhhh...
No more "jarring" bumps! Nice float, more like factory!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Spaceman said:
That doesn't really make sense to me. You'd have a much greater chance of damaging something if your axle is banging on something than if its not banging on anything. If you're sooo worried about your frame cracking just get a piece of metal and weld it on that area for extra support.

·
drag~N~spark
9,530 Posts
Spaceman said:
REALLY?? ok why dont u ask why frames that are notched and then either welded or bolted back with either step or monster notches, dont ever break. THE FRAME WILL NOT CRACK LOL, bumb stops need to be removed once slammed or bagged, no other way around it.

·
Big Dick Daddy
222 Posts
I had a Sonoma ZQ8 that i put spindles and 3 inch blocks on. The ride was horrible, the axle was sitting on the bump stops. So i did like ya'll said and cut the bump stop support off completely and added a low pro bump stop to the frame itself. The truck dropped down another half inch and rode like stock. Just dont put alot of weight in the back though, mine only had like 3 inches of suspension travel. : (

JJ

1 - 18 of 18 Posts