S-10 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get some chrome bumpers from pull n save tommara and i was just wonderin...how do ya remove the front and rear bumpers? are they just bolted on?

·
Cruisin' old school.. '82
1,298 Posts
Yup. Easiest thing to pull really. Four bolts across the front bumper. 4 bolts in sets of 2 for the rear bumper. Just out the bolts and the bumper is free. Nothing else to it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cool cool...did the same on an old 84 mazda b2000...didnt know if it was the same er not but thanks maing!!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
on the front you've got the 4 round front bolts on the sides of where a licence plate would go if you're in a front plate state... also 2 bumper to frame bolts out at the side... I unbolted the beams to the frame not the bumper.

on the rear bumper is fairly obvious... think it was 2 bolts each side... the bumper notches into the frame... a ratchet and box end will get it out with ease...

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
the front ones are a pita you gotta get down from under the hood behind the grille and rech down there with wrench or whatever you can get down there to get them and they are still tricky

13mm pretty sure on the front ones

the rear ones soak with PB BLASTER spray and get 1/2" drive ratchet and socket and wrenches they are rusted frozen tight pita

·
Well, you're crazy.....
622 Posts
If you're not going to re-use the old front bumper use a cut off wheel on a grinder. Cut a couple "X"s in the bolt heads and knock them out. Just buy new bolts and nuts to put back in. The bolts that go in are carriage bolts and usually they spin in the bumper when you try and take them out. I've taken off quite a few. I always remove the grille to change them. It saves my windshield.........(me throwing a ratchet through it) LOL

·
1,298 Posts
I have never had to go through the extra steps you guys are talking about with removing the grill to get to the back of the bumper. I've always been able to just go right under the bumper to get to the back side and remove the nuts then push the bolts through and Done!

I switched bumpers from a 85 parts truck I had for awhile with my 82 cause they were in better shape and already painted black. Again I didn't have much trouble and it was pretty straight forward.

·
1,298 Posts
I'm glad you didn't have trouble but those who have know what I'm talking about.
I can understand your methods with breaking the bolt heads to remove the bumper if their frozen or just free spin. Its the whole taking out the grill step I'm seeing others mention that doesn't make sense to me.

·
Well, you're crazy.....
622 Posts
I go from the top. If the bumper has the air deflector on it, it's hard for us fat boys (me) to get underneath. Also keeps the dirt out of your eyes. LOL . If you take the grille out the back of the bumper bolts are exposed.

·
Boozebag
9,265 Posts
I guess you guys haven't seen many from the fine place call way 'Upstate New York'. The bolts NEVER turn:rant:. They either break or spin in the bumper. RUST SUCKS.

·
1,298 Posts
I go from the top. If the bumper has the air deflector on it, it's hard for us fat boys (me) to get underneath. Also keeps the dirt out of your eyes. LOL . If you take the grille out the back of the bumper bolts are exposed.
Now that makes sense :haha:. I am am a fat boy myself haha! I didn't know that trick but now I do!

Luckily the S10's (if not lowered) are a bit easier to get under than say my friend's 97 Sunfire. Changed oil and a fuel filter on it for him... I was so thankful for the invention of a jack :rotf:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm working In a body shop atm and we have this same issue on a 4x4 1985 s10 we are trying to avoid tearing into it so much but it's looking like we either need to remove the fender liners on the fenders all together any ideas?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,255 Posts
I'm working In a body shop atm and we have this same issue on a 4x4 1985 s10 we are trying to avoid tearing into it so much but it's looking like we either need to remove the fender liners on the fenders all together any ideas?
Welcome.
Please check the dates of the threads you're responding to. This one is 9 years old and considered dead. You are welcome to start your own thread and link to an old thread.

Here is a link to the Forum Rules.

Closed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.