S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you have had a problem keeping paint on a front bumper cover its a street scene urethane.

my front cover

Ive had it repainted twice. Each time the paint just starts to flake right off. The guy tells me its my fault and hes refusing to do it anymore. he tells me there isnt anything i can do to keep the paint on. His reason is the fact that its a urethane bumper and when i scrape my front the lower part is bending and causing the paint to crack. is this true. i can live with the scrape marks but the flaking off looks like crap. And if anyone has an idea of what i can tell the guy to make it stick would be greatly appreciated

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
you have to spray it with a certain kind of primer that can flex........i am having mine done now........it has to have that primer or it will flake off cause urethane is meant to bend.......i will find out for sure what it is called

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea he says he puts the flex agent in. he says that doesnt matter

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
it should matter....i see plenty of guys on this form that dont have the problem you have

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea everyone ive talked to said they havent had a problem. I told the guy this and he told me they are lying. He says it happens all the time with urethane parts or stuff thats supposed to flex. Im gettin so pissed at him :bash: damn 190 bucks out the door cause i know when i get it back sometime next week itll just do it again and ill have to take it someplace else. and repay.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Dont the X's have urethane bumpers too? I havent seen them flake either...And I know that prolly 75% of the X owners on this board have run into a curb, or a snowbank, or something that would cause it to flex.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i suggest taking it to someone else

because ive had mine on for about 5 onths and my bumper is only 3" off the ground so i scrape hard everywhere, and the paint has not cracked yet. i have scraped so bad people have told me my front tire was about to run over my bumper, and it hasnt cracked. maybe they arent prepping it good enough, it needs to be scuffed up good for the paint to stick good.

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
i would def. take it to someone else..............FTC did you bolt yours into your bumper by any chance??????????

·
Registered
271 Posts
the cover only came

with 2 self tapping screws that are supposed to go on either side of the bumper, but i ddint think this was gonna be sufficient. so i put 4 rivets under the grille on the bumper so it wouldnt ever fall off.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK....

first things first. Flex additive is kinda like the leeches of auto painting. It is a scam. It adds some(very little) flexability to paint, and it evaporates withn 48 hours. Thething you hve to understand is that paint now is of the urethane type-in other words, pretty much the same as rubbermaid-th reason it is strongis that it is permanently flexible. What wll cause the paint to flake you ask? using a cheap or crylic sealer/primer, poor prep work(the biggest thing). Prep it with 400 sand paper, then go over it with a red scotchbrite, prime/seal it wit a urethane sealer, and then use a good quality basecoat clearcoat system. Be careful when putting it back on, and it won't ever flake, you may ge an occasional stone chip, but other than that-it will never flake.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what i wanted to hear. Im gonna copy this page and give it to the guy. just to show him its not my problem and no one else has had this. I got pretty much the same response at SSF as well. If it happens again im just gonna take it to a reputable paint shop up in atlanta that does custom work so i know i wont get screwed there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let me put my 2 cents in if it's not too late...

Plastic, urethane or any parts that aren't metal are manufactured in a mold. In order for the mold to not stick to the plastic, a release agent (oil) is applied to the mold. inevitalbly some of this is transferred to the part. In order to get this off the part ha to be washed, scrubbed like hell, actually, with HOT water, dishsoap, and a scothbrite pad. Then it must be sanded with 240 wet sandpaper and a block untill a dull, uniform color is achieved. (no shiny spots). Then it must be painted with a special plastic primer that promotes adhesion btween the paint and the substrate (the surface to be painted). Then the regular surface primer and basecoat/clearcoat can be applied with normal preclean between coats. If this is not done delmination occurs, which is when the paint system loses adhesion, and peels, flakes, etc. Do me a favor and tell this guy that he's a moron and that he don't know how to paint. (don't do that for real)

You also might want to consider adding some reinforcements between the corners of the bumper cover ( in front of the wheels). This will keep some of the flexing down, and keep your clearcoat from cracking. If you want to know why the clearcoat cracks, let me know, my fingers are tired.

Hope this helps.

·
www.AcrophobiA.net
1,325 Posts
thats exactly what is says in the instructions when you get your bumper..............good call bro

·
Registered
66 Posts
It really pisses me off how the shops always seem to take advantage of people. If the guy F^%$ed up, why can't he admit it and fix it?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WEll i went back to the guy after having the bumper sit up there for a week and a half. And just took it back. Its just primer he tells me its gonna happen again no matter what i do. Anyway im taking it to the dealership and having them do it along with my new roll pan. While i was there i saw a friend picking up her civic(rice-bodykit) i hope her stuff holds up. well i hope the new paint place can make it stick cause im repaying all over again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just make sure that they know how to do this, you might want to clean it and sand it yourself just to make sure it is right and make sure they know to use plastic primer!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might just wait till im up in atlanta. See if i can find a nice paint shop there that specializes in aftermarket stuff like a custom shop. Probally pay out the butt but i can get some other stuff painted as well im sure they can get it right. If i go to the dealership its easier to put pressure on them to have it done right. Ill probally wait for a while now. just live with it in primer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
75% of painting is prep, if you do that yourself you could save quite a few bucks. When I got my blazer painted (the first time) I did the prep work myself and saved $800 went from a $2000 paint job to $1200, just because I sanded it myself. Then they did a crappy job so I repaintd it myself for about 500 bucks. Like I've said before, NOBODY touches my cars but me anymore

1 - 20 of 33 Posts