S-10 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1984 Camaro that had a 305 and auto trans. I didn't get either when I bought the car. I'm swapping a built 4.3 out of a 1999 GMC Sonoma in it with an edelbrock intake, 500cfm performer carb, headers, dual exhaust, 3.08 gears, and a 270hr comp cams camshaft (.500 lift and 215 duration on exhaust and intake). Im hoping for 300hp at the crank but iI think I'll fall a little short. I want to know if an nv3500 would be a good choice for this. There's one for $500 low miles on Craigslist that I'm thinking of buying. It's either the nv3500 or a t56 and I'm having trouble finding a reasonable t56. Im also concerned with the shifter lining up with where it needs to be on the center console.

·
Been there Done it
12,469 Posts
Don't waste you time on an NV3500. Find a T56. They're much stronger. I can't imagine an 84 Camaro 4.3L with anything less. As far as the console goes, remove it. If you're serious about performance, a console is just useless extra weight.

·
Horsepower Addict
253 Posts
I would use a T-5 before a NV3500. The T-5 at least came in those cars.

Keep in mind, the torque arm rear suspension also connects to the trans unless you want to buy an aftermarket torque arm also.

4th gen pedals are also much easier to find & can be adapted to the 3rd gen Camaro rather easily.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
NV manual trans is too tall to fit an F body
T5, T56 etc. is your only choice without major modifications

Reactions: Mostizzle

·
time to get cereal
5,655 Posts
Trade that 3.08 for 4.10s it'll feel more like 300hp

A T5 should be able to be found in a junkyard Camaro, and can be built if desired. You can't do much with an NV, can't even shift them quickly. Just make sure you get one from a V8 Camaro, the 2.5 and 2.8 transmissions won't work for obvious reasons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts