S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
RIP U.S.A. 7/4/1776-11/3/
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
before you say anything yes i did search. ok me and a guy i work with were talking about buying bedcovers for our trucks. then we kinda got on the topic of building our own. i was thinking of making an angle iron frame then putting sheets of foam in the frame then glassing it all together. the only ptoblem i can see would be the seem between the glass and the metal that goes onto the bed. i was thinking just bringing it up to there and sanding and bondoing but i think that might crack. any ideas.

Attachments

·
Old Man
260 Posts
My homemade tonneau is a little more complicated. I have several ideas and they range from soft to hard. Some of my soft ideas are that I would make it power and work like a convertible top. Designing the folding mechanism is a little too complicated. My hard style ideas are all over the place and some are power opening. I have thought of using the following materials, sheet aluminum, body sheet metal from the roof of a station wagon or a van, new sheet metal, fibreglass, plexiglass, wood. If I ever make one I will post pics. My concern of using sheet metal is the weight, so far my designs are between 70-100 lbs. I think that may too heavy.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have decided to create a cover myself for my short box step side and its gonna be made from wood, but i might glass the top, if not do the vinyl,It will be unique i have been sketching the basic ideas and it is workz its gonna be "sick" lol

·
harlem body kit has to go
1,170 Posts
there's a guy on here that made one out of plywood and vynil. came out really nice. said it cost him about 30 bucks too

·
bagged1
2,216 Posts
Hmmmm, not that this is related to building a fiberglass cover but...
what about using tinted plexi-glass. and some type of brackets.

It'd be cool for those people with blow throughs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts