S-10 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this isn't an s10, but I thought I'd share..

I had another buddy ask me to build a box for him.. I said sure, before really looking at what it would take. Its going to be a little more complicated then I thought, and I hope it turns out ok.

He has some older 10" JL subs.. each sub requires .75sq^3 of space.. I'm cutting it very close in terms of space for each sub.. We'll see how it goes.

The floor under his rear seats is all crazy so it took a lot of time to cut things the way we want.. I think I have a surprised in mind for what I want to do with this box.. I've shared the idea with Chris, and he seems game for it.. But You'll see it when I do it. Hope it comes out looking sweet.. This time we plan to go simple and carpet it black.

Anyway.... here is todays work. Its an 02 Avalanch.. We cleaned out the inside..

Flipped up the seats and here is what we have to work with.. Those wires
goto his head unit older indash flip out head unit..

Mocking up the floor of the speaker box.

Getting the back wall built out.

We have the front wall mounted for the most part.

Here it is with the seats closed.

Once we got this far.. I started cutting my speaker rings.. The rings are 12" in size.. the innter holes are 9 1/8ths and the outers are 10 and 5/8ths. I also rounded the outter rings.

Here is me cutting the rings.. and JC holding the wood.

And a test fit.. just an idea of how things will go.

When we test fit the drivers sub we realized that it doesn't fit right.. we'll just need to lower the wood floor we built a little to get the sub to clear the seat.. No problem.

never built a box like this before so there will be a few mistakes..

thats it for today.. dunno if i'll be able to get to this this week.. but i'll try.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
We got a fair amount done this weekend..

Here are the rings completed and glued together..

Close up shot..

And the rings mounted pretty much where we want them.

At this point, I felt like I was able to go ahead and take everything apart and start gluing everything together...

Here is the floor with out the sides on.. I cut my strips of fiber glass to length.. Why fiberglass? Well, like my last build, my cuts are not all that straight. so the fiber glass makes up the difference.

Unscrewed one part..

Some glue..

Fiberglass matt..

More glue...

Screwed down...

Again, more glue and fiberglass..

At this point my crappy camera was pissing me off.. But I think you get the idea.. I went ahead and just did the whole thing.

Another shot..

Oh look.. Sides are now glued and screwed in and down.

Just another shot..

Here I am laying more fiberglass matt down.. This is where I resign the piss out of things..

Here is 2 layers down in the seems and corners..

Close up shot..

And duh.. We forgot about the center divider.. Via some very complicated math, we determined that this would have both chamers be pretty much equal in terms of air space.. We only need .75^3 of air spare per sub.. We are cutting it close, I have a feeling each sub will have around .65^3. But I will not beable to fully model it until its all done.

As you can tell we resigned the piss out of things...

It was getting late and my camera blows donkey dick so I went ahead and spandexed the outer part of the sides in place, then resigned the piss out of it. Sure there are some wrinkles, but it'll all be smoothed down before I'm done.

Nother shot.. I know youre most likely thinking.... Uhh.. Why are they off to the side a little? Cause when we mounted the rings perfectly under the seat, thats where they landed and fit perfectly.

Side shot.. Ugly huh? Ha.. Have no fear.. Nothing my trusty little sanding mouse, a few more layers of glass, and some Rage Body filler cant fix in a few afternoons.

Thats it.. Had to call it a night cause it was getting late.. Will work on this more next weekend..

So far I think we have 18 or so hours into it. I think we'll have about 30 into it before we are done.

enjoy.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is todays work.. The weather was nice so we got a lot done. All the major fiber glass work is done at this point.. Now it needs to be sanded down, and then the body work begins to pretty it up.

First thing we did was restrech out more spandex to get the rest of the mold covered how we wanted.

Another shot.

This is 3 layers of wet fiberglass on top of the spandex.

4 layers of glass solid, and the holes cut out for the speakers.

Test fit of the sub..

Close up shot.

Planted in the tuck..

W/ sub.

So I will be the first to admit.. it looks ugly.. BUT.. as i keep saying, there isn't nothing my little sanding mouse, and some rage body filler can pretty up. It will also be covered in thick black carpet.

Tommorw begins the detail work.. just hope the weather stays warm like it did today.

Thats it.. enjoy.

·
Mr. SQ
2,302 Posts
might i suggest using the fiberglass hair instead of the woven mats for your next project? It is a lot easier to get the curves you want. The mat is really only good for flat surfaces or surfaces with a slight curve.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got a lot done today.. infact gotta do one final test fit and then i think its time to carpet this bad larry..

Chris didn't make it out today, but JC did.. I made him sand while we talked abotu EDJ, the Website, Cars, Chris's box.. whatever.

Warning.. Mid way into things my main camera finally died on me.. So I had to use my Droid.. the pictures are not the best and make things look way worse then it is.

I got out there around 11, flipped the box over and rounded the edges and glues the bottom screws in.

Just another shot..

Then I sneezed a few times and got green booger all over his box..

Kept sneezing..

^^ Haha.. Just kidding.. I did a pretty thick layer of Rage Body filler on that bad larry.. You think I would learn.. THIN COATS.. but no.. I never do. Ah well..

Started to knock things down.. Not bad.. But still needs some love.

More sanding mouse love going on here..

Just about have it where I want it.. Some iffy spots, but im using pretty thick carpet so I'm not worried to much.

Just another shot..

Then I sprayed my rubberized undercoating in there. Was a bitch to get it all the way down but I think I got it pretty good.

Got it real thick..

Other side..

And thats it for todays work.. Got a lot done thie weekend and I'm pretty happy about that.. Still have to wire this guy up for the speakers, carpet it and then its done.

I hope to get a newer camera here shortly so sorry about the bad photos towards the end.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
might i suggest using the fiberglass hair instead of the woven mats for your next project? It is a lot easier to get the curves you want. The mat is really only good for flat surfaces or surfaces with a slight curve.
I will try that for sure on the next project. Thanks for the tips!

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
kdh, I'm loving the past couple of projects you've shared with us. All of the work looks top notch. I would almost say overkill in some places (fiberglass in the corners comes to mind, caulk is really all you need, IMO). Keep up the great work man.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kdh, I'm loving the past couple of projects you've shared with us. All of the work looks top notch. I would almost say overkill in some places (fiberglass in the corners comes to mind, caulk is really all you need, IMO). Keep up the great work man.
thanks man.. =)

this stuff is just an escape for me.. my day job is pretty stressful.. i do computer work, mainly massive amounts of storage, emc/cisco type stuff and i do a lot of perl programming. over kill yes, but it beats sitting in front of computer programming all day. :haha:

·
S-series abuser
694 Posts
Looks good man!! Just finished a box myself and its definitely time consuming. Ive wanted to try fiberglass but decided next time I will. Mine is only a ported wedge shaped mdf box for 4 10"s. Probably have 40 plus hours into mine as well but I work kind of slow lol.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks!

tonight i plan to do the final test fit, and then I will carpet it this weekend.

..and there is nothing wrong with slow. As long as it goes smoothly, slow can be enjoyable. There is something definitly to be said about doing something, standing back and going.. "yep, thats what I was going for, and I'm happy with it."..

On top of that.. if you can pass the s10forum test, its bound to be awesome. =) haha.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We got a lot done today.. box is 95% done. Just have to run the wires for things.

Here is todays work.

I knocked down most of the problem areas with my sanding mouse, and the taped the inside of the speaker rings to keep spray on glue off the rings.

Lotta glue sprayed on here, just letting it tack up.

Laying out the new carpet.

One side just about done.

Almost all done.

And DONE.

Here it is planted in the truck.

Chris making sure his radio control unit would fit.

Seat closed.

Both seats closed.

We need to add the wire terminals and trim some of the seams but its pretty much done, looks awesome. No idea how it sounds.. He doesn't have his amp installed yet.

We left it in there for now, but he's coming back over tomorrow so we can finish it. But yah, we are both pretty happy with the way it turned out.

I shit you not.. Chris as my witness.. One of my neighbors came up and asked us if we could build a box for his son for his 16th birthday. I said sure no problem. But it might not happen till after the new year. haha.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks. =)

he's going to pick up some new w1s here in a few weeks. so we are excited to try them out. crazy my neighbor came up to me and asked me to build a box for his 16 year old son..

i'll post that up when i get to it.. its a ford, so hopefully for the forum wount throw to much at me when i do it. =)

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
honestly, i like it that way. thats kinda why i like this forum. if it looks like shit, people will say.. hey man, i know you put a lot of work into it.. but it still looks like shit. here is what could have been done better.

the only kind of work i want to do is 5 star work. this forum is deep with all sorts of awesome information. I follow hundreds of threads on this site, and use the search function a lot. there are a lot of threads where i'd love to do the same quailty work, and there are even more threads where i totally wouldn't do it that way at all. honestly in the 6 years ive been on this site.. this site alone has taught me more about cars and trucks then any person or any book i've ever read.

·
Zr2USA = B_Rich
2,657 Posts
I agree with you on the learning part. I'll be the first one to say that I wouldn't even be nearly half as knowledgeable as I am today if it weren't for online forums. Some people just get butt hurt too easily around here, or they have their chins up their noses with their trucks. I don't have the time of day for those people ;).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts