S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 700R-4 from a 1988 4.3 Astro. What are the recommended mods for using this behind a (fairly) mild 350 in a S-10?

Inside it looks pretty good -- should I go ahead and put in new bands/clutches while I have it out?

Thanks!

Terry

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
a good start would be a Transgo shift reprogramming kit and rebuild it to V8 standards. if you have more money then get a performance rebuild kit, there are tons of these so i can't recommend one, but you'll easily find one that fits any budget.
and maybe a higher stall converter.

there are tons of mods available for these trannies but you don't really need any of them for a mild engine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, here's what I plan on:

Get a rebuild manual!
.5 Boost valve
Kelvar band
3-4 clutch pack
Transgo shift kit
Corvette Servo
Lubeguard

Any other suggestions?

Terry

·
Registered
507 Posts
Any other suggestions?
Get an Alto red band instead and a .292 or bigger intermediate/reverse valve.
Also Alto red frictions or Raybestos.
Bushings, bearings and thrust washers. Don't reuse your old converter or at least have it cut open and cleaned, inspected.
Learn the proper clutch clearances, The ATSG manuals, sometimes called the best, give clearance specs not even close to what you'd use to set up a performance trans.

·
-------------------------
100 Posts
Crazy J said:
a good start would be a Transgo shift reprogramming kit and rebuild it to V8 standards. if you have more money then get a performance rebuild kit, there are tons of these so i can't recommend one, but you'll easily find one that fits any budget.
and maybe a higher stall converter.

there are tons of mods available for these trannies but you don't really need any of them for a mild engine.
an 88' is not computer controlled.:dunce:

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
you might want to check the contents of the transgo kit, if i remember right it comes with a vette servo and .500" tv boost valve (maybe a reverse boost valve also).

you'll also want to replace the forward sprag, Borg Warner makes one with dual cages, avoid the SKF one with a single cage.

·
100 Posts
oops my bad i ASS-U-ME-d. i got my kit from kds performance it was a premium stock kit it came with raybestos cluthes , all the other good stuff and a corvette servo and a .500" boost valve for $130 shipped to my door. it said on the site it came with borg warner cluthes but one i opened it up and started rebuildin her i noticed all the clutches had the raybestos logo on them. they wern't blue though so i don't think they were the blue plates.

·
Lunatic
257 Posts
the kits with blue frictions cost about $50-$60 more.
what all came in your kit? i've bought valves from them but never any kits.

·
100 Posts
yea it came with everything it says the only difference was the raybestos frictions instead of the borg warner frictions like it advertises. but i had no problem with that i'm sure the raybesos are better anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts